• Always Wear One

Votes: 103 39.9%
  • Sometimes Wear One

Votes: 70 27.1%
  • Only When Diving From The Shore

Votes: 12 4.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I always wear one but recently it's a bit of a nuisance underwater. It catches in my hair and wobbles around and looked awful when I checked myself out in the mirror of the HMS Swan in Western Australia. I'm approaching a point where I have to do something about it. But I'm reluctant to just ditch it because I do snorkel face down sometimes to the descent line and when I come up, I hate getting water in my mouth and love to have a snorkel on the surface even while I'm just waiting to get on the boat. I think the solution may be to start wearing a hood to keep my hair out of the way in general. How do all you non snorkel carriers manage on the surface with water splashing into your face and mouth? This happens in reasonably calm waters too not just when it's choppy.

Originally posted by anni
How do all you non snorkel carriers manage on the surface with water splashing into your face and mouth? This happens in reasonably calm waters too not just when it's choppy.

I keep my reg in my mouth and breathe from it. I always have enough air left at the end of the dive to do this without problem.

I have never liked wearing it, and as a matter of fact took it off for an early dive on a recent trip to Fiji (apparently the place to be!!!!) but put it back on a few dives later. Which was a good thing because it came in real handy when after a series of mistakes I had to wait at the surface in very choppy water for the boat to come rescue me. I won't be diving without it any time soon.:wink:

Originally posted by landlocked
It stayed in the bag on my last OW Cert dive (the instructor didn't notice and pretended to be angry when I mentioned it some months later) and it hasn't been out since. Dang nice snorkel too. I notice she only wears hers when she is teaching. I keep it around in case I want to snorkel some day. You never know, it could happen. Maybe some neoprene and a snorkel on a nice long, lazy float down the Henry's fork of the Snake River. Sounds better to me than an inner tube. I have to find some way to justify buying the thing!
OK. Change of opinion. Did a shore dive in the Pacific Northwest. Had to swim out about 200 yards. Used the snorkel and liked it. Went to check out a local lake for SCUBA suitability. We took the snorkels and had an absolute blast. I have a nice expensive dry snorkel. Since I obviously haven't used a snorkel much, I think that getting the high priced version was a good idea. (I think that I would have swallowed a lot of sea water otherwise.) I still hate reaching for my inflator hose and finding the snorkel instead and I still won't be using it much, but my attitude has changed some.

Originally posted by anni
I always wear one but recently it's a bit of a nuisance underwater. It catches in my hair and wobbles around and looked awful when I checked myself out in the mirror of the HMS Swan in Western Australia. I'm approaching a point where I have to do something about it. But I'm reluctant to just ditch it because I do snorkel face down sometimes to the descent line and when I come up, I hate getting water in my mouth and love to have a snorkel on the surface even while I'm just waiting to get on the boat. I think the solution may be to start wearing a hood to keep my hair out of the way in general. How do all you non snorkel carriers manage on the surface with water splashing into your face and mouth? This happens in reasonably calm waters too not just when it's choppy.

I guess I just don't much mind water spashing into my face and mouth (although I do try and close my mouth when I think I'll get a face full)...truly, unless conditions are pretty bad, once I get to the surface, I pull my mask down around my neck and pull my reg out while waiting for the boat. I don't mind having all that stuff in my face while under....but it really annoys me at the surface. Of course in rougher conditions I just deal with it, and leave both in place.

I do carry my snorkel in my BC pocket....but have only pulled it out once on a longer surface swim.

Originally posted by JamesK

I keep my reg in my mouth and breathe from it. I always have enough air left at the end of the dive to do this without problem.

That's exactly what I do. I never have a problem with the reg so I don't use the snorkle. It gets in the way...It's a nuisance.

I suppose it just seems attached. Forgive me for keeping the same ole paradigm, but I never thought to take it off my mask.

Must have been the time in the military, when you learn that way, you tend to stick with it...

Jeff

Hi guys:

I'm like most folks here on this forum. Snorkle are a pain in the "?". They get in the way when i reach my inflator. Although like i said they are a pain, but i always carry a fold up type in one of my pockets of my BC for those certain emergencys.

Safe diving to ya all:

Always have it on mask & I think it does cause some leaking problems. But I have used it a few times on boat dives as well as shore dives. It helps conserve the air in the tank.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom