Who would you choose to host a show about diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
wetb4igetinthewater

wetb4igetinthewater

Instructor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Could be a show about underwater archaeology, marine sciences, explorations, whatever. Write in your answers on the person you would like to see host.

I really wanted to just let this one go because you are reading way too damn far into what I said, but since you're calling me out by name and attempting to belittle me, allow me to retort.

I did not give anyone advice. I called out JBs ****** tank trim that is quite frankly no where near acceptable for a multitude of reasons. If you don't know what those problems are, then nothing I say to you will change that and it's not my job to educate you. I am not judging the quality of his programs, I am not claiming to be able to make better movies than he can, and since you seem to have missed it, I like his show and watch most every episode.

Given that JB made a video about his tank trim, that he took down the blind dive into a siphon video, and that all of his videos have had a disclaimer added to them, it would seem he is aware of his influence on the diving community as a whole and he does try to demonstrate proper technique; he usually gets it right. I know this might be hard for a boomer to understand, but a lot of people learn way too much from social media influencers. IMO these influencers need to hold themselves to the highest standard; I believe his posted introspection demonstrates that he values it too.

Now, since you are calling into question my credentials, I could tell you that I've had classes from at least one of JB's instructors, I could tell you that I have done the exact same dive as Mr Bloom, I could tell you that I've been diving since they would let me, I could regale you with a giant stack of cert cards, I could rattle off dive counts (at least my post count is lower than my dive count), I could find the best poser shots I have showing perfect trim, or I could make up any other thing you want to hear.

But you know what? None of that means anything.

If you want to call me out like you have then you come to Northern California and come dive with me and make an actual assessment in person instead of whatever it was you just tried to do. My name is Jon and I am in Monterey every weekend.

ETA: you want my poser shot? Zoom in on my profile pic :wink:
You may want to re-read your own post. Usually, calling someone an “apologist” does not go down well. I picked him as a host because of his talents as a content maker. The video he took down had nothing to do with the accident and adding a disclaimer seems like a thing most lawyers would recommend when one starts to explain how complicated life support systems work.

As I pointed out, you’ve blocked your profile, so zooming in on your picture is not possible. My main complaint was that you were pretty aggressively going after someone that is simply trying to create video, and me for liking him. I wouldn’t call him an ”influencer“ because he isn’t hawking any products. He isn’t holding himself out as some sort of gold standard of excellence, either.

Sean Evans from Hot Ones is a great interviewer, him and his team do the research to get great conversations out of their guests.

A ah ah ha ha ha yeah intelligent guy Zack-Bloom only to be savaged by standards police imbeciles

I remember their was a nice kid that had taken the Chatterton wreck diving class

Ha ah ah ah ah ahha prrrrffttt!!!

Just remember that most of the people who make really harsh comments don't dive, and that makes them cranky.
Well, I'm in Kythira, Greece right now, working on an underwater archaeology project. I have been diving very inconsistently for the past year or so (due to having a small child and also planning this project). Fortunately, as the person who is paying the documentary filmmaker recording all this, I can withhold payment for any clips where I am out of trim! :oops: :p :shakehead:

Honestly, I feel out of practice and can feel breaking at the waist far too often. Not a big deal, but my "friends" here on SB will not let it go if they can pick even the smallest mistake. That's fine, the purpose of the documentary is fundraising and showing how subsea laser scanning is coming (it will take more than one expedition to have an easily adoptable process - requiring a lot of expertise will inhibit its adoption by underwater researchers). What we are doing goes way beyond archaeology, including but not limited to marine geology (this morning I was diving an archaeological site where the amphorae had fused into the rock), marine biology, conservation, general surveying, shipping hulls inspection, bridge support inspections, etc., etc..

It has been incredibly difficult getting here (which is why no one else has ever done exactly what we are doing: ROV-mounted laser scanners for academic research - plenty of submersible-mounted laser scanners has been done by the oil and gas industry).

Regardless, the criticisms are going to be brutal! :oops::popcorn:

OK - I'm changing my vote.

Salma Hayek.

1693843700892.png

Even more so if there's a white boa constrictor as the co-host and music to dance to.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom