Who would you choose to host a show about diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
wetb4igetinthewater

wetb4igetinthewater

Instructor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Could be a show about underwater archaeology, marine sciences, explorations, whatever. Write in your answers on the person you would like to see host.

As the show host/MC, John Barrowman. He would definitely keep it moving.

I’m not sure what your ulterior motive is for being an apologist for JB but no one should be cave diving without squaring their **** away.

The guy makes better videos than I do so he’s given a pass?

Not noticing tanks that far out of trim seriously calls into question his situational awareness. I don’t care if they were unfamiliar tanks, there is zero excuse for that kind of reckless abandon in a cave.

FWIW, I like JB’s videos and watch most of them.

ETA: what is your affiliation with JB? Looks like your from the same area as he is and your defense of him is a bit over the top.
I have seen so many people who posted videos get pilloried and then either drop the forum or stop making content. The perfection police will complain content makers out of existence. Getting all the shots required to make an interesting 15 minutes of video that has a cohesive narrative is a really tall order. I am not sure why you find my support of a good content maker such a betrayal.

That he travels and produces interesting video about diving on his own dime and is able to make a living at it is pretty amazing. That he can't have perfect trim in every situation doesn't count as unforgivable sin. You've never shown up some place and had to make do with what was available has never occurred? Or do you scrub every dive because the local you traveled to doesn't have everything you would have liked?

Yeah, I would rather watch. him make content than read about every reason he should be embarrassed.

If you think you think better can be done, you are welcome to try, and I will be as tolerant of your foibles as I am of his. I would rather you make good content than wait until you make perfect content. I stopped showing divers in my most of my videos because I don't want them critiqued by people that don't know them or care where they are in their dive career.

I noticed you blocked your profile. JB is willing to put himself out there. I respect that.

I have seen so many people who posted videos get pilloried and then either drop the forum or stop making content. The perfection police will complain content makers out of existence. Getting all the shots required to make an interesting 15 minutes of video that has a cohesive narrative is a really tall order. I am not sure why you find my support of a good content maker such a betrayal.

That he travels and produces interesting video about diving on his own dime and is able to make a living at it is pretty amazing. That he can't have perfect trim in every situation doesn't count as unforgivable sin. You've never shown up some place and had to make do with what was available has never occurred? Or do you scrub every dive because the local you traveled to doesn't have everything you would have liked?

Yeah, I would rather watch. him make content than read about every reason he should be embarrassed.

If you think you think better can be done, you are welcome to try, and I will be as tolerant of your foibles as I am of his. I would rather you make good content than wait until you make perfect content. I stopped showing divers in my most of my videos because I don't want them critiqued by people that don't know them or care where they are in their dive career.

I noticed you blocked your profile. JB is willing to put himself out there. I respect that.
This reminds me of a conversation I had with @Trace Malinowski. He's got that stunning video here:

However, in that conversation he told me how when doing demonstration videos, he finds little mistakes, different ones each time, with each take.

So if someone like Trace can find mistakes in every take, what chance do the rest of us to always produce perfect skills in videos where there are not second takes.

This reminds me of the backlash I got here on SB where I posted one of UDC's early videos on performing skills neutrally buoyant and trimmed. Now it wasn't perfect, but it was a big step in the right direction. I remember his name (but won't post it) was especially harsh. As he had a class where he was assisted coming up on the weekend, I challenged him to just record himself doing underwater scuba kit removal and replacement. You can bet your sweet kolo on Monday I followed up to ask where the video was.

"That was hard", was his response. Yeah buddy, it sure is.

So if people here want to throw stones, let's see them post some videos of themselves diving. I knew when I originally started this thread that it would become a shitshοw and at least one person didn't disappoint.

This reminds me of a conversation I had with @Trace Malinowski. He's got that stunning video here:

However, in that conversation he told me how when doing demonstration videos, he finds little mistakes, different ones each time, with each take.

So if someone like Trace can find mistakes in every take, what chance do the rest of us to always produce perfect skills in videos where there are not second takes.

This reminds me of the backlash I got here on SB where I posted one of UDC's early videos on performing skills neutrally buoyant and trimmed. Now it wasn't perfect, but it was a big step in the right direction. I remember his name (but won't post it) was especially harsh. As he had a class where he was assisted coming up on the weekend, I challenged him to just record himself doing underwater scuba kit removal and replacement. You can bet your sweet kolo on Monday I followed up to ask where the video was.

"That was hard", was his response. Yeah buddy, it sure is.

So if people here want to throw stones, let's see them post some videos of themselves diving. I knew when I originally started this thread that it would become a shitshοw and at least one person didn't disappoint.
I remember their was a nice kid that had taken the Chatterton wreck diving class and had posted the video of his last checkout dive. He made the mistake of saying he was open to suggestions. They savaged both him and Chatterton. I was honestly embarrassed for the kid. He did something really cool and exciting and not only did get fileted, but so did his instructor, who wasn't even in the video.

I couldn't help but notice @lostsheep had blocked his profile, and it only listed 0-24 dives. That probably means he is a zero to hero diver that has tech diver koolaid. If he finds giving advice to people with that much more experience than himself, he should really be ready to put it out there. I have 50 videos on youtube and you can search my history all you want. But that is also why I am not usually the guy chomping at the bit to be a critic.

I remember their was a nice kid that had taken the Chatterton wreck diving class and had posted the video of his last checkout dive. He made the mistake of saying he was open to suggestions. They savaged both him and Chatterton. I was honestly embarrassed for the kid. He did something really cool and exciting and not only did get fileted, but so did his instructor, who wasn't even in the video.

I couldn't help but notice @lostsheep had blocked his profile, and it only listed 0-24 dives. That probably means he is a zero to hero diver that has tech diver koolaid. If he finds giving advice to people with that much more experience than himself, he should really be ready to put it out there. I have 50 videos on youtube and you can search my history all you want. But that is also why I am not usually the guy chomping at the bit to be a critic.

I really wanted to just let this one go because you are reading way too damn far into what I said, but since you're calling me out by name and attempting to belittle me, allow me to retort.

I did not give anyone advice. I called out JBs ****** tank trim that is quite frankly no where near acceptable for a multitude of reasons. If you don't know what those problems are, then nothing I say to you will change that and it's not my job to educate you. I am not judging the quality of his programs, I am not claiming to be able to make better movies than he can, and since you seem to have missed it, I like his show and watch most every episode.

Given that JB made a video about his tank trim, that he took down the blind dive into a siphon video, and that all of his videos have had a disclaimer added to them, it would seem he is aware of his influence on the diving community as a whole and he does try to demonstrate proper technique; he usually gets it right. I know this might be hard for a boomer to understand, but a lot of people learn way too much from social media influencers. IMO these influencers need to hold themselves to the highest standard; I believe his posted introspection demonstrates that he values it too.

Now, since you are calling into question my credentials, I could tell you that I've had classes from at least one of JB's instructors, I could tell you that I have done the exact same dive as Mr Bloom, I could tell you that I've been diving since they would let me, I could regale you with a giant stack of cert cards, I could rattle off dive counts (at least my post count is lower than my dive count), I could find the best poser shots I have showing perfect trim, or I could make up any other thing you want to hear.

But you know what? None of that means anything.

If you want to call me out like you have then you come to Northern California and come dive with me and make an actual assessment in person instead of whatever it was you just tried to do. My name is Jon and I am in Monterey every weekend.

ETA: you want my poser shot? Zoom in on my profile pic :wink:

Odd choice, but how about Ian McCollum from Forgotten Weapons? He is extremely knowledgeable, fun to watch, and is a diver. He did a video about lionfish hunting and cooking a while back.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom