Who would you choose to host a show about diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
wetb4igetinthewater

wetb4igetinthewater

Instructor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Could be a show about underwater archaeology, marine sciences, explorations, whatever. Write in your answers on the person you would like to see host.

I wanna see the 'release the kraken' lady host a scuba show
Jonathan Bird is very very knowledgeable and from what I’ve seen, capable.
I don't think he knows what he's doing. At least the cave diving stuff I've seen looks really bad. Unfortunately, people and epsecially beginners look at these youtube divers like him and divetalk as if they are experts. They're not, they're only entertainment. Even though people are responsible for what they do, they are being influenced by these videos.

... that the video had nothing to do with the decision to do the dive.
People also think they're not influenced by advertisements. They are heavily influenced by it, they just don't realise it.

I wanna see the 'release the kraken' lady host a scuba show

I don't think he knows what he's doing. At least the cave diving stuff I've seen looks really bad. Unfortunately, people and epsecially beginners look at these youtube divers like him and divetalk as if they are experts. They're not, they're only entertainment. Even though people are responsible for what they do, they are being influenced by these videos.

People also think they're not influenced by advertisements. They are heavily influenced by it, they just don't realise it.
The idea behind a show featuring diving is to engage more people in diving. JYC was a film maker more than a diver. He dynamited reefs, shot a feeding sharks and did more than a few thing that would be looked at as pretty shady today just for the cameras.

Most people who are making dive related content are on a journey and the they are sharing the journey. The Dive Talk guys spend a lot of time talking about where they are in their journey and so does Jonathan Bird. The perfect diver is going to come across as a bit of a prig and be totally un-relatable to viewers. No one wants to be talked down to by a host.

Mike Rowe is not a blue collar laborer. He is an actor that plays one on TV. He doesn't do all his own research, there is an entire production company behind what he does. That he portrays a relatable everyman ignores the fact that he was a professional opera sing before becoming a TV personality.

Being a good TV presenter is not about being St Scuba, with divine gifts, but being a relatable character that acts as a surrogate for the viewer. Chatterton got where he is because of his accomplishments, but you will also hear people gripe about this or that aspect of his diving.

If I want to be talked down to, I can watch instructional videos. If you want to entertain or get people interested in diving as an activity, you need to have people viewers can relate to. Or at least be hot.

The perfect diver is going to come across as a bit of a prig and be totally un-relatable to viewers. No one wants to be talked down to by a host.
It's not about being perfect. Breaking safety rules and showing how it's 'no problem' to break them, is not OK. It's like making a video about how you can actually still drive after 8 beers. People see that stuff and wanna do it to. I'd like to see people with a large audiance to take some responsibility and not just chase money.
JYC was a 100 years ago. They were ignorant like the people who smoked with their kids in the car. They didn't know any better.

The few cave videos of him I've seen show them in slopy gear setup and poor technique. Whoever their instructor was isn't a good instructor and shouldn't have certied them with their poor skill level in the first place.
Mike Rowe's stuff is just entertainment. The divetalk and BlueWorld stuff is made to look educational... which it kinda is, but the education part is of poor quality.

If I want to be talked down to, I can watch instructional videos. If you want to entertain or get people interested in diving as an activity, you need to have people viewers can relate to. Or at least be hot.
I have no idea what you're talking about. I watch and read stuff from people who know more about a topic than I do... why would I feel talked down to?

If my buddies posted a pic or video of me looking like this I’d be pissed, I sure as **** wouldn’t use it in a video I was making.

It’s certainly not “capable”

View attachment 792832
I just saw the video from which this was pulled and almost at the EXACT moment this frame was captured, JB was commenting that he was using AL rental tanks and not the his usual steel and that he still needed to dial in the trim.

If you can consistently make better videos than him, feel free to share them.

I don't think that's a fair comment. You have to be independently wealthy to travel full time with somebody you have to pay to film you.
There are certainly people that are more competent divers than him (especially cave divers) but most people have to go to work to make living.

I don't think that's a fair comment. You have to be independently wealthy to travel full time with somebody you have to pay to film you.
There are certainly people that are more competent divers than him (especially cave divers) but most people have to go to work to make living.
To really have proficiency as a UW videographer, you need to spend a lot of time diving, making videos and editing them. Reshooting a three hour long traverse with two guest divers is impossible. I don't think JB would disagree there are more competent cave divers than he, but how many of them have been able build a library of videos that come anywhere close to what he has? Is the quality of his trim more important than the quality of his product?

I seldom show much of other divers in the videos that I make because the videos are made so my buddies and kids can show friends what their dives are like. They are for the adventure. I have seen too many videos where a technical error becomes a slug fest about proficiency. The result is new divers that make a fun video about their fun adventure on an artificial reef turns into a dog pile about their or their buddy's newbie failings. I have seen it here and on FB and seen people posting video that weren't theirs to discussions for the sole purpose of creating a dog pile. These divers never share again or they block comments and never openly share future content.

Perfect is the enemy of the good. This frame was from the Blue World Video about the grande traverse at Peacock Springs. JB had two choices, either edit himself out of the video or include it in the video. He wasn't going to be able to reshoot the entire dive. The video was interesting and entertaining. I am not a cave diver, but I got to enjoy the adventure, warts and all.

I just saw the video from which this was pulled and almost at the EXACT moment this frame was captured, JB was commenting that he was using AL rental tanks and not the his usual steel and that he still needed to dial in the trim.

I thought being dialed in was a prerequisite for cave diving.

Back
Top Bottom