Who would you choose to host a show about diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
wetb4igetinthewater

wetb4igetinthewater

Instructor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Could be a show about underwater archaeology, marine sciences, explorations, whatever. Write in your answers on the person you would like to see host.

You are missing the point. He produced a very unsafe video about Friedman to Catfish/Manatee, a diver died after reportedly watching it and seeing how easy it was. I don't trust him.
How many years ago? May 2022. Bird has now stopped access to his video. so he knows what he did.

For those that missed it, what rule(s) did they break ?

OMG, He has produced actual shows. Posted hundreds of videos, and one of them you didn't like how many years ago? He has put up a lot more and better content than pretty much anyone and is a real diver. This is why there are no fun shows about diving.

Paige Spiranac.

You are missing the point. He produced a very unsafe video about Friedman to Catfish/Manatee, a diver died after reportedly watching it and seeing how easy it was. I don't trust him.
How many years ago? May 2022. Bird has now stopped access to his video. so he knows what he did.
I didn’t know the story and couldn’t access the video. I did read the accident report and it did show poor judgement in the video production, which was pulled.

Considering the quality of most diving related videos, his are on average very good. i have watched quite a few of his videos recently and they have been excellent quality. I am not a cave diver, so I can’t really comment beyond production values. The divers that got into trouble were ultimately responsible for the planning and execution of their dive. That they decide to exceed there training and plan a dive based solely on a social media post without doing due diligence in planning was not Bird’s fault.

This does bring up an interesting dilemma. Lots of comments in threads about people wanting a more accurate depiction of diving in film. At what point do viewers mistake what is essentially entertainment for instruction? Adventures with a Purpose gets dragged over the coals because they are clearly ill equipped and trained for some of what they are doing (or most). Jonathan Bird is very very knowledgeable and from what I’ve seen, capable. He did, from what I read, over hype a dive and show a level of disregard for standards to make his product more exciting. I’d hope there was a lesson learned. Which group do you want to see more content from?

I do see your point about the questionable video,

. Jonathan Bird is very very knowledgeable and from what I’ve seen, capable.

If my buddies posted a pic or video of me looking like this I’d be pissed, I sure as **** wouldn’t use it in a video I was making.

It’s certainly not “capable”

AEDCE02E-2D0B-4E18-A49F-4266EDBFF266.png

@lostsheep as an FYI, a person who was either one of the three divers who survived, or knows them closely, explicitly replied to @tursiops that the video had nothing to do with the decision to do the dive.

this is the original thread, you can read more details there: Manatee Springs SP cave fatality

edit: its best to continue this discussion in that thread, and not here

1689564415955.png

@lostsheep as an FYI, a person who was either one of the three divers who survived, or knows them closely, explicitly replied to @tursiops that the video had nothing to do with the decision to do the dive.

this is the original thread, you can read more details there: Manatee Springs SP cave fatality

edit: its best to continue this discussion in that thread, and not here

View attachment 792833

I would never blame anyone but the actual divers who agreed on the dive plan, everyone is responsible for their own actions and decisions.

That said, just DOING a blind traverse INTO a siphon is ridiculous. Creating a “professional” video about it is some weird combination of hubris and ineptitude. I feel like there are several of these groups out there 🤔

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom