Who's afraid of Belize City? NDR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I worked on an eco-cruise ship based in Belize City for a few months. We were always advised to travel in groups when we went into town. When I first arrived, the company I worked for had booked me on the wrong flight and I missed the boat's departure. I had to sit on a pier for hours until they could get a Zodiac in to pick me up. No problems, but given what I had heard before arriving it was a little nerve wracking.

We ventured into a number of towns and villages away from Belize City and encountered wonderful people. I stayed after my "tour of duty" to dive off Caye Caulker and did have one or two incidents that might have been threatening, but loved my stay there.

The best thing to do when coming to Belize after landing at the International Airport is to get onto a local flight to Placencia, Cayo, or San Pedro where you find the real Belize. No need to spend time in Belize City.

Easy Ralph. Majority of our staff and crew live in Belize City. So do many friends and family. I lived there for several years until my job required different. Honestly, the city has been the most convenient place for me to live at with easy access to many services and facilities unavailable at other districts and towns. Everyone has a different opinion of Belize City but I am pleased with its conveniences and workforce available. I walk to just about anywhere I need to get to unless it's raining or I'm running late. The crime and violence is also very real and if you have been around any city you should not have any problem getting around Belize City as Downing has proved. Believe it or not Belize City is very much part of the "real Belize".

Easy Ralph. Majority of our staff and crew live in Belize City. Believe it or not Belize City is very much part of the "real Belize".

Yep, Belize City is a part of Belize. That's reality. And if you live here, you'll have to deal with going there for some things.
As far as locals from San Pedro etc wanting to "get in and get out"....I was the same way growing up in a small town in SW Ohio. It was a little farm town and that was the way I looked at Cincinnati. I just didn't like the traffic, crowds etc. It wasn't because I was afraid.

I have to go to Belize City from time to time, but I minimise those visits. I'm not afraid of the place, but I'm cautious and I don't like it.

My comment about avoiding Belize City is directed at visitors to Belize. I go there more often than I would like to. Was there last week for some errands, had to go yesterday for some meetings returning today and will likely go again later this week. I don't go there because I like the place or the 3 hour drive to get there (other than the hour I spend on the Humingbird). I go there because the best medical facilities are there, the "real" government is there, and there are many businesses that are located there that have better items or services than elsewhere in Belize and a visit to Belize City reminds me of how lucky I am to live in Placencia!!!

Back
Top Bottom