Who's been to Fiji? Advice needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bull520

New
Reaction score
Hi all.

A buddy and I are planning Fiji this year. Lots of info online, but I would rather hear from those who have been there. I figure we would rather stay on land rather than a live-aboard this time, though nothing is being ruled out. Cost is a factor, but only in terms of avoiding expensive resorts where you pay in advance for amenities that don't matter much to us diver types.

If someone has advice for accommodations and dive operators who have first hand knowledge I would love to hear about it. Also appreciate advice of places/situations to avoid.

One more note, as much as I love scuba, I'm all about the surfing too. Looking for a location that would offer both.

Thanks!!

I have been to Fiji twice (June 2006 and June 2007), both times to Beqa Lagoon Resort. The resort is primarily a dive resort, so I never had the impression that I was paying for "amenities that don't matter much to us diver types." There were a couple of surfers at the resort last year. They seemed to truly enjoy the surfing there. A boat took them each day across the lagoon to Frigate Passage (also known as the Fiji Pipeline).

Still, the overwhelming majority of folks staying at BLR both times I've stayed there were divers. With a two-tank boat dive each morning and unlimited shore diving, I've been able to log 18 or 19 dives during each of my one-week stays.

Peace,
Dave

Pacific Harbor is your best bet with cost as factor, unless you want to take an internal flight to a smaller island such as Kadavu.

Pac Harbor calls itself the watersports capitol of Fiji...or something like that. Diving wise there is the famous shark dives with Beqa Adventure Divers, great soft coral/reef/small wreck dives, and the surfing is known to be decent. I have stayed at Tsulu and Uprising. Both are decently priced (Tsulu somewhat cheaper) and offer everything from backpacker dorms to private rooms.

Keep in mind some think it is best to travel around Fiji to a few different places if you have the time. Nightlife is pretty low key.

Dont waste time in Suva or Nadi. Get out of the city and spend time among the people. The Fijians are the some coolest people on the planet.

hi,
ive been to fiji quite a few times,
north,east,west,
pacific harbour would suit your needs,however pick your time of year re their seasons/weather.

have also been north, there is some great diving in this area,not sure about surfing sorry.here are some links for Wanenarvu,backpackers accommodation.

Ra Divers - Fiji Islands

Volivoli Beach - Home

if you want any more info ,pm me.

matts1w:
Dont waste time in Suva or Nadi. Get out of the city and spend time among the people. The Fijians are the some coolest people on the planet.

Totally agree with you on that Matt...mind you,there is a percentage of them that are not to keen on the kiwi's atm lol

My wife, daughter, and I are leaving for a 3 week trip to two Fijian islands tomorrow. I will report back after we return on the 13th. This will be our first trip there.

I was there in 2001. Jumped in the waters off Nadi the day after my flight arrived, but then flew to Savusavu so I could dive at Cousteau's resort for the rest of the time. The resort was full, but Dick Murphy set me up at the "big" white hotel in Savusavu. It almost broke my budget... cost a whopping $8/night for a large private room with all-you-can-eat breakfast, and there were only 3-4 other guests there when I visited.

We were in Taveuni in August, Somosomo Straight is also called soft coral capital of the world. We really enjoyed our trip, but we haven't seen anything big. Not crowded at that time. Taveuni is a small island, not so much top side activities. I would suggest you do a couple of other islands.

For surfing, in the Lonely Planet, they suggest mainly Viti Levu (Coral Coast and Kavu Kavu Reef) and Mamanuca Islands.

We had a great deal at the Garden Island Resort. The occupancy was very low (I guess because of the coup), so you can bargain. But the hotel is not fancy, and food was so so. You're paying what you get for!

For sure, it will be a great experience! Enjoy!

I'm very interested in OP's question... I'm going to Fiji at the end of feb, for 10 days, I've alaredy booked my domestic flight for Kadavu to dive on its Astrolabe reef : I don't know which accom I would book though, either Waisalima or Kenia, if any of you has an opinion, feel free to post...

I am hesitating on the other 4 days left, my non diver wife wants the Yasawas, I'd be ready to go to Nananu I Ra if the beaches and the bungalows where as nice as the Yasawas... Stransky, would you please shed some light?

Yawawas!! ive been to fiji/Yawawas about 6yrs ago - hated it, you couldnt pay me to go back.

we went to octopus resort, promised unlimited diving & nitrox and end up with cancelled bookings, damaged gear, stolen gear, no nitrox and about 5 dives only and even then they werent great.

for a non diver, it most prob would be very enjoyable

for a diver, go elsewhere and i hope you have a much better time

cheers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom