Who's been watching shark week?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

askdjasd

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I know I have!

not that good except for today's deadliest water and this one that just finished about goblin sharks.

Attachments

• Picture 6.jpg
    Picture 6.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 27
Ok, this is creeping me out. I've been watching most the shows (thank you tivo for killing the advertisements which are incredibly abundant). Now I've had a good many dives with sharks and love most of them (I'm personally not going to go out of my way to dive with great whites, tigers, bulls, or oceanic white tips. If they show up I'll be very "aware" of them. Anything else, Yay, focus quick, snap. But I have never seen so much blood in the water! The reenactments are worse than texas chainsaw massacre. Incredible amounts of blood. Usually I really enjoy how much shark week focuses on educating folks about the deplorable state of shark survival. This week they are going for blood, gore and scare tactics. Then at the end of the show they toss in the obligatory "of course sharks have much more to fear from people than we do them", 100 million killed each yr. Then we on to the next bloodfeast. Where is the balance?? So far I've had a couple of clients and my brother call me to warn me not to go diving anymore. I'm not the only one who sees the new focus. They seem to be going with the old "If it bleeds it leads" philosophy. The quick little disclaimers at the end of each show isn't getting through the clutter. I'm not a happy camper about this!

I don't have cable and if I did, I doubt I'd watch it except to be able to criticize the apparent sensationalism.

Dr. Bill:

Be VERY glad that you're not watching. This is the worst ever year for Shark Week. As my boss would say, "they're risen to a new low." The blood, guts and sensationalism have totally blotted out any science (or reason, for that matter).

And I'm a BIG FAN of Shark Week and look forward to it each year!

I agree with it being the worst ever to sensationalize! I guess ratings is what they are after, and well in general most programs on tv suck anyway. I won't be watching anymore episodes of this series thats for sure. I've swam with a lot of big sharks including Bulls and Tigers. Seeing them fed into a frenzy is not my kind of entertainment and its not how these animals normally act. This is the same kind of reaction that the starving people do in third world countries when the UN Trucks drive through with food. Lets get some cameras rolling there so we can all see how people react when they are starving and food is being thrown at them!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom