Why all-inclusive works for me

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mossman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Two room service "American breakfasts" this morning, each with 2 eggs scrambled with cheese, hashbrowns, and toast. Coffee. OJ. Order came in 15 minutes. Value, probably around $20.

Two post-dive Dos Equis from the minibar. Then lunch: guac & salsa with chips, tuna sashimi, fettucine with shrimp in a guajillo chile/tomato sauce, rib-eye tacos (very tender and well-trimmed beef) with guac and grilled onion wedges, two Don Julio Blanco margaritas on the rocks, glass of Tempranillo. I skipped dessert. Value, at least $50. One more Don Julio margarita. An espresso with a shot of 43 liqueur. Value, at least $10. Dinner yet to come. Stuffed grouper? Duck? Not sure yet, I'll have a few more margaritas to give me inspiration. Value, at least $15.

So I'm easily at $95 before dinner. Value of dinner and copious drinks will be at least another $50. And then a couple of white russians for a night cap, value at least $10. Which means I'm getting an ocean-view suite (bedroom, huge living room, two balconies - one of them wraparound) for less than $80/night for the $232/night I'm paying. Free internet. Entertainment. Lagoon pool. Paradise. You nay-sayers can have your a la carte restaurants and thousands of cruise ship passengers, Diamonds International on every block, noise. I'll take the beach, natural setting, no need to wait for the check after meals, and short boat rides to the dive sites. Personal preference, I guess.

Only downside is I'll probably need to buy an extra seat for the flights back since I'll likely gain 50 lbs :)

You are doing well! Today I dined on coffee, grapefruit, cottage cheese with pineapple, and will be having a pork sandwich with avocado for supper. And a rum and coke. I am SO mundane by comparison! Bring leftovers tomorrow on the boat! Otherwise I will be reduced to ordering, once again, my BLT on the SI.

Greg, two room service breakfasts? Is there anything else you'd like to share with us?

5 years later I still remember the food at the Occidental, retch! We were so glad when our son was old enough we didn't need a kids club anymore so no more AI!

I have to admit I love food and booze shopping.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

You are doing well! Today I dined on coffee, grapefruit, cottage cheese with pineapple, and will be having a pork sandwich with avocado for supper. And a rum and coke. I am SO mundane by comparison! Bring leftovers tomorrow on the boat! Otherwise I will be reduced to ordering, once again, my BLT on the SI.
Hmm. I'm getting away with ordering two breakfasts since it's a couple's resort and they don't realize I'm ordering for a non-existent spouse. Ordering 8 breakfasts might raise suspicions. Or they'll just think I'm Mormon :)

Greg, two room service breakfasts? Is there anything else you'd like to share with us?
Sorry, have to keep some secrets. After all, I'm staying at a place called Secrets.

But, since you asked, tonight's dinner was shrimp wontons to start, then an asparagus tip and artichoke heart salad, followed by a filet with bearnaise. It was a bit humorous to watch the guy in the sleeveless "wife beater" shirt being turned away all confused that his attire wasn't considered "casual elegant". About 90% of the people here are from Texas or the deep south: non-stop twang, muchos tattoos and goatees, and absolutely no understanding of how to behave in a civilized society. One can't help but wonder how these folk are descended from pre-Civil War plantation gentlemen.

---------- Post added June 16th, 2013 at 05:55 PM ----------

5 years later I still remember the food at the Occidental, retch! We were so glad when our son was old enough we didn't need a kids club anymore so no more AI!
Not all AIs are created equal. This one, for instance, has no buffet restaurant. The food in the restaurants is much better than the Occidental's, top shelf booze, and rooms that have views. For one example, margaritas at the Occidental are made with cheap generic triple sec. Here, you can get genuine Grand Marnier.

AI works ok for me when I am forced to do it, but I perfer not to go that route. I am lucky that my non-diving spouse loves to cook :)

I get cheap home cooked meals prepared just the way I want them and served just when I want them while I stay (at least most of the time) in extremely nice inexpensive condo's via my time share points.

I have never come across a better value or any arrangements that work better for me at any cost.

Mossman, not color coding your meal posts? Come on you are slacking! :)

Sounds like the food is good there!

cbm32:

Yeah, but wives are way, way more expensive than an A.I. package.
(Mine does not read this forum, by the way).

I've noticed some people like to 'get out & explore,' and view it as 'part of the adventure,' 'experiencing other cultures' (even highly Americanized touristy ones), etc...

And some people, who seem to lack the fascination with History & Sociology, go to DIVE. The other stuff is either meeting a usual desire (food, drink, AC, etc...) or 'kind of a bother.'

Are you a 'Night on the Town' or a 'Well, let's go find somewhere to eat...' kind of guy?

Mossman's been to Cozumel before. Maybe the thrill of urban adventure kinda went away?

Richard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom