Why always shark-infested waters??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The ONLY thing on my mind in the ocean is careless ass hole boater infested waters.

Just to play devil's advocate, there is the possibility that it's not just today's media that coined the term. Perhaps it was used before TV because some people somewhere were killed by sharks, and "infested" implies something bad--ei. the woods are mosquito infested. As far as "killing machines", I have heard them referred to on educational TV as "eating machines". Not exactly the same, but in the ballpark. You'll never be killed or eaten in waters that are only contain ("infested" with) plankton and scuba tanks.

Just to play devil's advocate, there is the possibility that it's not just today's media that coined the term. Perhaps it was used before TV because some people somewhere were killed by sharks, and "infested" implies something bad--ei. the woods are mosquito infested. As far as "killing machines", I have heard them referred to on educational TV as "eating machines". Not exactly the same, but in the ballpark. You'll never be killed or eaten in waters that are only contain ("infested" with) plankton and scuba tanks.

Ever notice that when people get bitten by sharks they so rarely "eat" what they bite? I suspect we don't taste very good to a shark ... for the most part, they're not designed to eat beef ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

It would have sold if it had been titled:

"Nudi" Infesterd Waters........

K?? :amazed:

I really dont like the way barracuda smile and follow me around. Barracuda_mag_small_color.jpg

hydrogen infested waters! :dork2:

Remember, hydrogen is flammable! :shakehead:

Ever notice that when people get bitten by sharks they so rarely "eat" what they bite? I suspect we don't taste very good to a shark ... for the most part, they're not designed to eat beef ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

They are not bitten. They are "attacked". LOL.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

That would be long pig, not beef.

Bob
-----------------------------
I may be old, but I’m not dead yet.

It is obviously a total misnomer today and extremely inaccurate. 40 years ago the waters off my island (Catalina) were indeed full of sharks. I could count dozens of blues on my way to the next dive site or while fishing from my boat.Today it is rare to see one. I think it would be far more accurate for news people to refer to shark depleted waters.

It is obviously a total misnomer today and extremely inaccurate. 40 years ago the waters off my island (Catalina) were indeed full of sharks. I could count dozens of blues on my way to the next dive site or while fishing from my boat.Today it is rare to see one. I think it would be far more accurate for news people to refer to shark depleted waters.

... or human-infested waters ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom