why arent there any wireless charging cameras?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ballastbelly

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi, I heard about cellphone wireless charging years ago, many models support it today.

if added to a camera, you would be able to seal the case (with silicone caulk, instead of grease) and not open it again.

wireless photo transfer is already common in cameras, but why are they keeping back from releasing wireless charging?
is it too slow for the high capacity battery in a camera? does the case have to be open anyways to vent gases?

thanks

The simple answer is probably not enough people dive with cameras to make it worthwhile to engineer.

I am a little surprised that someone hasn't come up with an external charging port though so you don't have to open the housing as often.

Hi, I heard about cellphone wireless charging years ago, many models support it today.

if added to a camera, you would be able to seal the case (with silicone caulk, instead of grease) and not open it again.

wireless photo transfer is already common in cameras, but why are they keeping back from releasing wireless charging?
is it too slow for the high capacity battery in a camera? does the case have to be open anyways to vent gases?

thanks

Make it yourself!

search for "Qi Wireless Charging micro usb"on ebay the parts are under $5

so the actual answer is it is too slow and inefficient. To go through phones it has a very short distance to travel, but to go through a housing would require a significant power pump from the charger to get through the housing, and that comes with speed costs as well. External charging ports surprise me that they haven't gotten around to, but for most cameras the batteries last a full day of diving and you want to take them out to transfer data and/or clean them. UWLD put out external charging ports for their lights a few months back, I think it's coming

so the actual answer is it is too slow and inefficient.

That's it. Even for cellphone type of usage, it is extreme slow charging. I can't imagine leaving our camera charging for hours. I much prefer the ability to swap out the battery and go.

---------- Post added June 17th, 2015 at 01:20 PM ----------

And non user replaceable battery is good enough for you? Li-On battery life cycle is limited if you handle it right. If you mis-handle, say charge too fast, charge too slow (most likely in this case), charge too full, leave it charged for too long .... you can significantly shorten the life. And you will have to have the manufacture to change batteries for you?

Back
Top Bottom