Why can't scuba tanks be set up like a firefighter's scba?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would think it would be better to wear the tank in front of you. Why try to fiddle with things behind you, especially in emergency situations.

I would think it would be better to wear the tank in front of you.

ChristianLambertsen.jpg
Italian-Navy-Frogmen-Rebreather.jpg
220px-Rebr_rn_parts_labelled.jpg

I would think it would be better to wear the tank in front of you. Why try to fiddle with things behind you, especially in emergency situations.

Though I believe this is really in jest, most side mount divers would agree with you. They are probably as close to "in front" as one can practically get.

Front mounted gear makes a lot of sense for combat swimmers who are only interested in mid-water transportation and rapid don & doff. Having all that bulk in front is annoying to a recreational diver who is interested in seeing what is in front and below. Eliminating bulk in the front is the primary motivation behind a wing over a jack BC. It is all about finding the least painful compromise.

At this stage, I'd be very interested to hear a rationale of why firefighters use an inverted set-up. My assumption is that such a configuration would lend extra protection to the more delicate valve assembly - which may be vital when operating in low-visibility and confined spaces. Also, if smaller capacity cylinders were used, the shorter length of the cylinder (inverted) would be less cumbersome and restrictive - especially with regards to freedom-of-movement of the head/neck. However, I'm not sure if those benefits would realistically translate into scuba diving.

I would imagine its for the same reason that commercial divers invert our bailout twinsets.
It is protection for the valves.
We have a tender to help us don and doff the gear, so its a non issue.
I am way more comfortable with inverted twins, but that just what I am used to.

Front mounted gear makes a lot of sense for combat swimmers who are only interested in mid-water transportation and rapid don & doff. Having all that bulk in front is annoying to a recreational diver who is interested in seeing what is in front and below. Eliminating bulk in the front is the primary motivation behind a wing over a jack BC. It is all about finding the least painful compromise.

Most divers don't look at their chests, and most masks make it impossible to see much there anyway. The front mounted gear would certainly not inhibit vision.

I am not sure if bulk in front is why BP/W is chosen, as much as bulk, period. Then again, I don't use BP/W at least not the the kind with a hard plate.

A practical reason for no gear in front for many divers is their bellies take up all the room. Also it is easy (kind of) to carry tanks on the back, but it is really hard to carry (as in lug around out of the water) tanks on the front. When carrying tired divers sets of gear from the water, I fing it easy to sling a couple sets over my shoulders, but next to impossible to carry any sets in front.

I have done lots of diving with a diving sled , and having the gear in front worked a lot better in a lot of ways, especially when using multiple sets of gear.

Last edited:
Most divers don't look at their chests, and most masks make it impossible to see much there anyway. The front mounted gear would certainly not inhibit vision...

Your experience is certainly inconstant with mine using pure oxygen rebreathers. The bulk most definitely interferes with looking down when in a head-up position. The rig was always in view when swimming horizontally and looking down. Granted, I could not see it looking forward at ~45° on a compass heading.

Last edited:
Akimbo makes a good point. I often look whats behind me by lookibg under my chest while swimming horizontally

This has been an interesting thread to read. I have been a career firefighter for 7 years and I was a volunteer for 5 years before that. This is a question I first asked in my OW class 2 years ago.

In the world of scba the valve is connected to a high pressure hose then to the first stage. The first stage is mounted along side the cylinder. To design a scuba unit in this configuration would take alot more than just using current production items and mounting them upside down to the bc. 1st stages would need to be redesigned to be remotely mounted, house would need to be routed up the bc and over the shoulder in a cover to prevent tangles, and I think the oct would be fine coming under the arm. Gauges would follow the hose to your 2nd stage.

A simpler fix in my mind to fix the head hits tank senario is higher pressures. Make tanks that are 4500psi. Smaller tank size more cubic feet of air. We switched to high pressure tanks 12 years ago. World of difference in size of the cylinders for the same amount of gas. Alot of compressors are already rated for 4500psi and any new one could be speced at 6000psi to fill cascade systems.

Disclamier: I am definatley not a scuba expert, just putting in my .02 in reference to scba

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom