Why CCR?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kevin,

Black out or not you would still be able to see your PO2 displays, Many RB divers really like the shearwater dive computer and the new unit the preditor can be seen quite the distance in decent vis.

Even the current Pursuit has an automatic backlight (where it turns on automatically if the light is dim enough) or you can just set to to always on (although this uses a tad bit more battery)

The handset on the Evolution has "key on" so when you touch a button, it lights, or "always on" which is easy to set on during a dive for when you're inside a wreck, or I would imagine - inside a cave.

This is a great discussion - I am learning a lot . . . from afar . . . and I'll probably stay that way for a good, long time :)

:worship:

Kevin,

Black out or not you would still be able to see your PO2 displays, Many RB divers really like the shearwater dive computer and the new unit the preditor can be seen quite the distance in decent vis.

I have seen a blackout to where you cound not see any light. 10w hid completely useless.. You think you could read your computer in that? Caves can be gorgeous but a misplaced kick or worse and were talking zero viz. I would imagine a wreck could be the same.

There is always the HUD, And yes i think a computer PRESSED against your mask you will be able to read, Remember that silt is not in your mask.. or should not be :D

In any event many CCR divers are plumbing there bailouts into their BOV, If the dive got that bad it would be a little switch and they are on OC.. Deal with the issue wait for the mess to clear re evaluate the dive and go from there.

There is always the HUD, And yes i think a computer PRESSED against your mask you will be able to read, Remember that silt is not in your mask.. or should not be :D

In any event many CCR divers are plumbing there bailouts into their BOV, If the dive got that bad it would be a little switch and they are on OC.. Deal with the issue wait for the mess to clear re evaluate the dive and go from there.

I dont know about the hud but in a cave silt out, you see zero.. Be nice to hear from someone who has bee in that before..

CD have you ever tested yours in those conditions?

I'm sorry, but I don't think a diver is ready to be certified with CCR to 200' with less than 5 hours of decompression experience. Additionally, I can't see how the person can add 25 hours on a CCR and in 2.5 additional hours and 2 dives can be certified to dive to 333'! Where's the deep water experience?

If there is a "death zone" (less than 20 hours of CCR use) the answer is to add 30 hours of experience and go from 100' to over 300'? I don't get it. I would think that the training times would be increased prior to initial certification by 20 hours and remove the "death zone" entirely. Increased training times have been beneficial for other recreational activities (including flying).

A most excellent write-up! I agree with what you are saying . . . I think the 'problem' is that people CAN go from 'Newly certified' to CCR.

That's a lot like going from a private single engine prop plane to a commerical airliner. Or an F16.

However, unless you want government regulation :shocked:, it is the responsibillity of the self-policing certifiers to insure "adequate" :stirpot: experience . . . .

I dont know about the hud but in a cave silt out, you see zero.. Be nice to hear from someone who has bee in that before..

How is that any different from being in a tight passage way and completely silting out a wreck?

I can honesty say i have been in a TOTAL BLACK OUT, yes to the point where i could not see my 18watt HID clipped off to my chest dring, Yet i was still able to turn the light on to my Vytec and press it against my mask and clearly read my depth and dive time.. Again when the space between your eyes and your mask lens is clear and you press the device flush against the mask its amazing what you can see.

How is that any different from being in a tight passage way and completely silting out a wreck?

I can honesty say i have been in a TOTAL BLACK OUT, yes to the point where i could not see my 18watt HID clipped off to my chest dring, Yet i was still able to turn the light on to my Vytec and press it against my mask and clearly read my depth and dive time.. Again when the space between your eyes and your mask lens is clear and you press the device flush against the mask its amazing what you can see.

You would realy have to be in one. The organic matter is not that bad, but the clay in them is the worst. No clay in a wreck.

I like how you explained that... Now I like how you fly yours manually and have the electronic bckup, makes sense to me versus only relying on the unit. Since you mention cave, here is my biggest concern.. I have been in a blackout, how in the world would you monitor this? If you had the manual only system I think this could be a very bad situation...

This is one of the beauty of a CCR. If you totally silt out in a cave that has flow, sit and wait a bit for it to clear. If the cave has no flow, slowly work your way out. Gas is not an issue, take your time. If you have an eCCR and you set it properly before the dive, then just let it take over and run the unit if you can't see it period.

I have seen a blackout to where you cound not see any light. 10w hid completely useless.. You think you could read your computer in that? Caves can be gorgeous but a misplaced kick or worse and were talking zero viz. I would imagine a wreck could be the same.

I've been here on OC. The glow from my 18w is visible, but unable to see past particulate to make anything out. My primary CCR display is an OLED unit. My dive buddy can read it across the cave. I've done a no lights exit before using that to follow the line. I'm relatively certain if I put it against my mask in a total siltout I'd be able to read it.

I have not been there on CCR. Trying to avoid that for a while yet. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom