Why CCR?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

how long would you suggest for an a diver to wait until they make the move towards getting trained in CCR? (just curious, don't have the money to do this now but if ever I do would like to pursue.)

Hey Garth, to be honest all I can say is that it depends. Personally I would recommend that you do this in steps: master buoyancy control, prepare yourself to dive within the confines of air, and complete an OC Nitrox course.

Secondly, some trainers offer a CCR experience program. This would give you an idea of what's involved. Many Divers want to dive lazy. In other words, kick-back and enjoy the dive. Diving CCR in comparison is work. You have to keep on-top of things at all times. It becomes more task intensive as you move through the training programs that are offered.

Unless the person is naturally "detail oriented," my answer to your question would be "never." Assuming that the diver is detail oriented and wants to pursue CCR, I'd recommend that they started the process with a minimum of 100 dives under their belt. Keep in-mind that the IANTD CCR Diver program certifies the diver to a depth of 100 FSW.

For deeper diving, this is another story. As I've pointed out the next IANTD program is Normoxic trimix. The course offers 5 hours of instruction, all of this surrounds decompression diving (4 dives).

Personally, I see a bit of a void in the IANTD program (not to disparage IANTD, it's a great organization). I would recommend that the diver be exposed to decompression diving before they venture below 130 FSW. So I would recommend that the diver gain this skill-set before taking the Normix program.

I think 500 underwater hours with extensive decompression experience is a minimum before taking a trimix program and venturing below 300 FSW.

Keep in-mind that the IANTD CCR Diver program certifies the diver to a depth of 100 FSW.
Not exactly: IANTD Mod 1 Closed Circuit Rebreather Diver Course
This Program is designed to train competent divers in the safer use and technology of CCR for dives requiring up to 15 minutes of decompression. It is also especially useful to train divers who wish to dive up to 160 fsw (48 msw) if using diluent with helium or 140 fsw (42 msw) if using air as a diluent. . The training requirements here in are IANTD minimums. Other manufacturer’s requirements MAY APPLY for specific rebreathers so consult IANTD specific CCR course materials and manufacturers literature prior to teaching.

Hi CD, I think you will find my statement to be correct. MOD1 is just another path to the Normoxic Trimix program. It requires Advanced Nitrox as a prerequisite. If a diver doesn't wish to take Advanced Nitrox, he can go directly into OW CCR.

The IANTD Open Water Closed Circuit Rebreather Diver program has a max depth of 100FSW as I originally stated. Either the OW CCR, or MOD1 is a prerequisite for MOD2. As I understand it, MOD1 never needs to be taken unless the student wishes to take this path.

The IANTD Open Water Closed Circuit Rebreather Diver program has a max depth of 100FSW as I originally stated.

Maybe I'm just not understanding what cert this is: IANTD Open Water Closed Circuit Rebreather Diver

Is it listed here? : IANTD Course Flowchart

Edit-- Never mind I found it. It's not listed on the flowchart but it's listed here: http://www.iantdcourses.com/iantd-open-water-closed-circuit-rebreather-diver-course.php

Isn't it a bit premature to declare that the rebreather was or wasn't at fault in the recent accidents.

Maybe. But I wasn't necessarily talking about the ones last week.

And... I'd bet you that in the very recent accidents. The rebreather wasn't at fault.

No I am saying the brain fart occurs when they choose to use sensors that are 2 years out of date, dive with used scrubber that they had poured into a bucket then refilled the can later, used 10/50 dil on a 90ft dive, forgot to install an o-ring, forgot to get properly trained for the dive they are conducting. I could go on but I am sure you get the point.

I don't mean to harp on this point, I am just trying to understand. You're saying that most CCR deaths are due to pilot error... But error in setting up the unit, or error in pushing the limits.

That's entirely different than the common (?) perception by OW OC divers that a perfectly functioning CCR may suddenly stick a knife in your back. :)

Maybe I'm just not understanding what cert this is: IANTD Open Water Closed Circuit Rebreather Diver

Is it listed here? : IANTD Course Flowchart

Edit-- Never mind I found it. It's not listed on the flowchart but it's listed here: IANTD Open Water Closed Circuit Rebreather Diver Course

Sorry for the long post but we've got several of the same links and there still seems to be some difficulty. :wink:

Michael's right about the 70 FSW limit, it's 100 FSW supervised. I hope CCR divers hold to the limits as well as OC divers do today...

Hope this helps.

IANTD Open Water Closed Circuit Rebreather Diver

Purpose

This Program is designed to train competent divers in the safer use and technology of basic CCR diving with no decompression, up to 1.2 PO2 and to depths up to 70 fsw (21 msw). This course may be used as an entry-level course to SCUBA diving if combined with the OW program in which case OC dives will be substituted with CCR dives. The diver can dive to a maximum depth of 100 fsw (30 msw) if they are guided or supervised dive by a rebreather supervisor or instructor. The training requirements here in are IANTD minimums. Other manufacturer’s requirements MAY APPLY for specific rebreathers so consult manufacturers literature prior to teaching.

Prerequisites

Must be either an IANTD EANx Diver or equivalent or it may be taken in conjunction with the EANx Diver class. Must be a minimum of 17 years of age.

IANTD MOD 1 Rebreather Diver - Air Diluent

Purpose

This Program is designed to train competent divers in the safer use and technology of CCR for dives requiring up to 15 minutes of decompression. It is also especially useful to train divers who wish to dive up to 160 fsw (48 msw) if using diluent with helium or 140 fsw (42 msw) if using air as a diluent. . The training requirements here in are IANTD minimums. Other manufacturer’s requirements MAY APPLY for specific rebreathers so consult IANTD specific CCR course materials and manufacturers literature prior to teaching.

Prerequisites

Must be an IANTD Advanced EANx Diver or Advanced Recreational Trimix Diver or equivalent. Course may be taken as a combination program
Must be a minimum of 17 years of age.

IANTD MOD 2 Closed Circuit Rebreather Course - Normix Trimix Diluent

Purpose

This Program is designed to train divers in the safer use of the CCR for dives using normoxic helium-based gas mixtures for diluent and stages. It is also especially useful to train divers who wish to dive up to 200 fsw (60 msw), but do not wish to breathe air diluent below 90 fsw (27 msw) on CCR.
The knowledge and skills taught in this program are more than adequate to qualify divers to perform Trimix Dives outside of training up to 200 fsw (60 msw).

Prerequisites

Must be qualified as an IANTD CCR Diver. Divers who are qualified as an OC Trimix Diver, see note below under the Program Content section (Section C.).
Must provide proof of a minimum of 100 logged dives, of which at least 30 were deeper than 90 fsw (27 msw) or sufficient experience doing technical dives to satisfy the instructor that the student has the ability and knowledge to continue into this level of training. Must have 20 dives and 25 hours on the CCR being used.
Divers certified as OC Normoxic may take this course combined with the CCR diver course with qualification given once the hours/dives are logged. Must be a minimum of 18 years of age.

IANTD MOD 3 Closed Circuit Trimix Course

Purpose

This Program is designed to train divers in the safer use and technology of Rebreathers for deep diving to depths in excess of 200 fsw (60 msw).
The knowledge and skills taught in this program are more than adequate to qualify divers to perform Trimix Dives outside of training up to 333 fsw (100 msw).

Prerequisites

Must be qualified as an IANTD Normoxic CCR Diver, or if entering the Program based on equivalent experience, must be qualified as either Normoxic Trimix Diver or Trimix Diver (OC) or must be taking the Normoxic CCR Diver and Trimix Diver course on an approved Rebreather for mixed gas diving, with all dives other than confined water made on Trimix or Heliox. Note all CCR Trimix Divers must have completed the Normoxic CCR lectures and skills. Must provide proof of a minimum of 200 logged dives or sufficient experience doing technical dives to satisfy the instructor that the student has the ability and knowledge to continue into this level of training.
50 hours of dive time is required on the specific Rebreather for which the diver is being trained. Must be a minimum of 18 years of age.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom