Why did they stop making metal regs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brazing would be better than soldering. Electroplating over a brass braze is easy, while plating over solder is problematic at best.

Mares still makes all metal regs. And they cost less than plastic Scubapros and Aqualung. :wink:

I agree, my Mares metal regs are cheaper than top of the line Atomics, which are not metal. Even the metal ScubaPro one is cheaper.

So it would seem that cost is NOT a factor since there are metal regs available that are cheaper than some plastic ones.

I agree, my Mares metal regs are cheaper than top of the line Atomics, which are not metal. Even the metal ScubaPro one is cheaper.

So it would seem that cost is NOT a factor since there are metal regs available that are cheaper than some plastic ones.

It is cheapness and not much else, lets review an earlier series of posts in this very thread:

Whoa, whoa, ho'se whoa, nobody said anything about less money to the consumer, I mean less money to manufacture and therefore a greater profit margin. Scuba Pro and AL and others, due to superior name recognition, can demand more money for their products than others such as Mares who cannot regardless of the material used. I mean after the HUB it is a wonder they are still in business, my G-----.

No, plastic is cheaper to make and the manufactures which are mostly just name plates as this stuff all comes from just a few places anyways spec out the materials and basic design and the mold is cut and plastic goo is oozed in, ksssssppplllsssshhh, and voila, a plastic fantastic composite regulator. Tons of profit, after all, it is life support equipment :rofl3:, the sheep will pay.

N

In response too:

Mares still makes all metal regs. And they cost less than plastic Scubapros and Aqualung. :wink:

N

Brazing would be better than soldering. Electroplating over a brass braze is easy, while plating over solder is problematic at best.

Actually yeah you're right, brazing would be better.
Is it possible to braze with a tig? would the gas still be argon or would something else be used. I've tig welded copper with satisfactory results but not brass.

It is cheapness and not much else, lets review an earlier series of posts in this very thread:

In response too:
Originally Posted by TN Traveler View Post
Mares still makes all metal regs. And they cost less than plastic Scubapros and Aqualung.

N

Well that's a matter of supply and demand though isn't it? If the demand is high enough at a certain price point, than the overall end profit will be higher despite the higher input cost.

And we really are talking about cost to the consumer here. The question should really be; "why aren't more divers demanding metal regulators?", rather than why manufacturers are not making them. So in that perspective cost does not seem to be an issue. Nor does weight seem to be and issue since some posters, including me don't really notice that in the water.

Jason

The cost to make something and the price sold to the consumer are not always related.

Increasing the price as a marketing tool for high end products is common practice. If it cost more the consumer thinks it is getting more. The classical example of this practice is in perfumes and cosmetics. Most perfumes cost pennies to manufacture but they have to be sold in the high dollar or they will not sell.

I suspect that some of the very high end Atomic and a few other also inflate there prices… because they can. They are targeting that particular market.

The question should really be; "why aren't more divers demanding metal regulators?", rather than why manufacturers are not making them.

Jason

That is a very good question.

The question should really be; "why aren't more divers demanding metal regulators?", rather than why manufacturers are not making them.
Jason

Because the dive industry told us they are not desirable (so they could sell us something else). Maybe in another 50 yers, they will be back. Hey, SP is already marketing one as XXX"v" - a.k.a. VINTAGE...

bahhh bahhh (we are just sheep)

Okay, just a quick post before getting back to the lawn (too much moss over the winter). The metal regs need to be machined--that is a cost. Plastic is molded--different process, same result. Plastic does not corrode, metal does. Take a look at a plastic USD Jet Air regulator from the 1950s, and the housing will show zero corrosion (same with the AMF Voit 50 Fathom). But look at a Mistral, Aquamaster, etc. metal reg after 50 years of neglect, and you will see a difference. The plastic process is cheaper, easier to get aerodynamic contours on, and sea water is much easier on it.

SeaRat

PS--now why did I loose my avatar?

--now why did I loose my avatar?

...it was made of plastic and decomposed...:mooner: Get a metal one next time. :)

Well, all I can say is I'm a metal and polishing freak. So I guess that means metal regulators for me from now on.
I hate plastic stuff because I cant get it to shine.

Hey I have an idea (lightbulb)
Why don't we propose to the reg companies that plastic isn't green and metal is much better.
That seems to be all the rage right now, anything green.
Let's make it work for us.

Back
Top Bottom