Why Diving & Not Tennis?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Now theres a sport - underwater golf: Game of Kings (and/or the insane)!

Sorry about the thread hijack. I dive to relax. For the challange. For the cool toys. And most importantly because chicks dig it.

Cheers,
Rohan.

I guess i'm kind of a type 'a' person. Initially it was because I like abnormal hobbies! (I'm also a volunteer firey!) And also because I absolutely love the water and the marine biology side of it is also interesting (seeing as I'm studying it at uni it better be! :05:)
Now, its more the peaceful feeling underwater, like you're in another world, all your troubles are left behind and you're just floating, it doesnt matter what just happened or what you have to do after. It's all irrelevant. Diving always makes you feel so calm. Thats probably the best thing about it. Oh and its like you're part of the biggest ever fish tank - I mean how much better can it get!!!! It's like... Utopia!
If anyone lives around Sydney and wants to go for a dive send me a PM!!! :)
Safe Diving!
Emilie

The more I think about underwater golf the more I want to try it.... I am strangely fascinated by this idea...

"Chicks also dig motorbikes... Am I double dipping? Or just casting a wider net..."

Tell 'em you're into playing underwater golf on motorbikes - you'll have to beat them off with a stick...

NOW - if we can get this thread back on track: I don’t know of any divers who are attracted to the sport due to perceived danger (and those who are tend to be short lived). For most its relaxation (silence, being weightless, immersed in a totally different world - there was a good thread on this titled 'why do you dive' a day or two ago) and there is also the self challenge of improving as a diver (as opposed to danger-seeking). Most divers don’t strike me as strong A types – at least when together with other divers.

Cheers,
Rohan.

I m guess I have to clarify - in my book action and adventure doesn't have to mean risking your life... I value my life and will do everything in my power to keep it. At the same time, I feel one needs to assess the risks and weigh them up with the rewards.

Z...

Tennis is just too dangerous once you get past 40.
I have a few friends that play tennis and the proportion of them that hobbled around for 6 months after rupturing their Achilles tendon is just scary.
Same reason I gave up playing squash when I passed 45.

Non-impact sports rule!

I'm starting to realize that I like things that involve lots of gear or equipment, and diving certainly fulfils that niche. I played football and I rowed--both of which involve huge amounts of equipement. I can sit around for hours just tinkering with scuba gear, even tying knots or cutting up and innertube, it really doesn't matter. I think that's why I like the bp/w, because I can change it around. If I had $3,000 to spend on scuba gear, I could tell you what I would want right now. I just like thinking about all the cool stuff to buy.

I originally got certified to dive wrecks and I still love diving them. I particularly enjoy "real" wrecks, meaning they are actualy shipwrecks, as opposed to an artificial reef. I like real wrecks because there is a history behind each one, like the u-boats of the east coast.

I also like doing things most people don't do. Not many of my friends have ever dove, or done a lot of the things I've managed to do for that matter. I guess it separates me from the pack? Now I'm looking for ways to separate me from other scuba divers by going into more advanced diving (some day, way down the line, it's too early for that now). I don't like being like everyone else when it comes to my hobbies. It's nice to have something special to tell somewhat about when you meet them. It's never enough, there's always somewhere else to dive, always.

-Zak

I think my motivations for diving change and are a bit different depending on the type of dive...

At first it was because I love water and wanted to "advance" from snorcling.

If I take a camera it´s mostly because I want to show my non-diving friends what they´re missing.

If a regular naturedive I mostly just enjoy being in the "now" something almost meditational about it. After most of these dives I don´t even remember having had to make the effort of moving my fins. It feels like I´ve "flowed" thru the entire dive...

When doing deep/semideep wreckdives I like the planning and execution of the plan (including choosing mixes, setting goals, contingency planning and all the other stuff). Also the enviroment that challenges me to be "as good as I can be", for me that means that I´m somewhere between total detachment and total focus...I just love it. Then there is the "explorer vibe" of seing/experiencing what very few or no other people have had the chance to...

That´s why I´m going to do "full cave" next year...To keep challenging myself and to keep learning...I think a "static" diver is at a far greater risk of becoming a statistic than a dynamic one...

Danger and risk tolerance will always be an individual decision...My regular divebuddy will dive deep wrecks any day of the week but will not enter a cave...I don´t understand but don´t question this decision...

I dive AND play tennis, and cave, and ski, and all that other stuff. I love getting outside and.... doing stuff.

Back
Top Bottom