Why Diving & Not Tennis?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tassie_Rohan:
Interesting test - I come out as a ENTJ - another exoverted thinker/controlled risk taker. I would have thought most divers would be introverted in the sense of thinking things out for ourselves, planning, and get strength from ourselves, however most divers are also very sociable - bonding with new people with the same interests is one of the great things about diving: so probably more exoverts than introverts...

I'd say divers will turn out to be thinkers and planners rather than idealists. Lets wait and see...

BTW: the introverts will be too shy to post on this thread anyway.... :D

Cheers,
Rohan.

LOL
I came out as INTJ which I found spot on as apparently it is the contingency planning role that reaches its highest development in this rating.
Finally explains why I never take less than 4 light sources on a night dive. :D

I did Myers Briggs years ago. I am also INTJ, but my husband, also a diver, is ESTJ. Wonder how many I divers there are vs. E divers? Hmmm

I'm an INTJ and it really fits. The perfectionism in particular -- there's the appeal of the challenge of diving!

I got ISFJ [Introverted Sensing Feeling Judging] which I guess is true, although I am always told that I am not black and white and fairly contadictory [I'm a Libran] so I could test something different tomorrow.

What I definately am is organised and prepared. I'm the person who researches a new purchase for months and ends up knowing more than the sales assistant. I am also very prepared before undertaking activities - similar to not feeling comfortable if I don't have sufficient cash in my wallet.

I guess the feeling of needing to know I am prepared comes from having been in situations where having thought ahead and being properly equipped were paramount to safety and survival [off pieste skiing, trekking through the desert on Camels for 4 weeks, living and hiking through alps for a year etc.]

Interestingly [and not surprising] a number of Scuba Board posters have discussed how their diving has become more 'conservative' [in not pushing tables], or probably just better with the longer they have dived - obviously because they know and may have experiencd the inherent dangers and risks and have learnt from them [or seen others make the mistakes]. This directly relates to the on-going debates about the ease of certification and the speed with which some new divers quickly put themselves into quite dangerous situations [ah the youthful bliss of ignorance]. The ongoing debate of OW and how quickly ou go to AOW is one I have carefully followed. Just getting back into diving [I have 5 recent dives - deepest couple to 25mt] my LDS has recommended I do AOW - in response to my inquiery of doing an OW refresher. Having followed many recent threads on Scuba Board about this exact subject I am going to insist on doing some refresher dives and working on my buoyancy before going for AOW [if for no other reason I don't want to pull down the AOW cause with inexperience]. Personally I feel confident that I would achieve my AOW certifcation - but as many of you have said, it isn't about the cards it is about your personal level of knowledge and experience.

Some people, obviously very experienced divers, have fondly remembered their early days of diving when they say they didn't know the inherent risks and just innocently dived. Yet these same people now have the experience, confidence and knowledge to be able to excel at their diving and explore parts of the underwater world that we begginers can only hope to achieve with experince, knowledge and training.

I guess that is one of the beauties of diving, it has so many levels for so many different personalities and stages of knowledge and experience. Some want peace, some wonderment, some friendship, and some a challenging sport with which to personally challenge themselves. I think whatever category we fall within today we are always challenging ourselves with the dive we do tomorrow - at some very personal level.

I tested INTP, which the kersey article calls "the Architect" and I am an Architect, so that means......something. I dive because I love the ocean; I sail, race yachts, surf, swim, walk on the beach, the life aquatic. I gave up on tennis cause my gf doesn't play. ( she does dive)

jonnythan:
Oh yes.. I've tested out as INTP several times, and the description of INTP fits me perfectly.

And you drank the Koolaid? How did you ever make up your mind. :wink:

I'm an eNTp, sort of 50/50 on the e/i and I can see both points of view. I think if I drank the Koolaid, I would have to start arguing with myself. :D

INTPs are the most non-committal of the NTs. And easy-going, and funny.

For those of you undecided this might help:

MBTI Prayers

ISTJ: Lord help me to relax about insignificant details beginning tomorrow at 11:41.23 am e.s.t.

ISTP: God help me to consider people's feelings, even if most of them ARE hypersensitive.

ESTP: God help me to take responsibility for my own actions, even though they're usually NOT my fault.

ESTJ: God, help me to not try to RUN everything. But, if You need some help, just ask.

ISFJ: Lord, help me to be more laid back and help me to do it EXACTLY right.

ISFP: Lord, help me to stand up for my rights (if you don't mind my asking).

ESFP: God help me to take things more seriously, especially parties and dancing.

ESFJ: God give me patience, and I mean right NOW.

INFJ: Lord help me not be a perfectionist. (did I spell that correctly?)

INFP: God, help me to finish everything I sta

ENFP: God,help me to keep my mind on one th-Look a bird-ing at a time.

ENFJ: God help me to do only what I can and trust you for the rest. Do you mind putting that in writing?

INTJ: Lord keep me open to others' ideas, WRONG though they may be.

INTP: Lord help me be less independent, but let me do it my way.

ENTP: Lord help me follow established procedures today. On second thought, I'll settle for a few minutes.

ENTJ: Lord, help me slow downandnotrushthroughwatIdo

ISFJ: Lord, help me to be more laid back and help me to do it EXACTLY right.

This is so true it scares me!!!! This is why I have to research everything before I buy.

I have visited about ten on-line dive shops, spoken to Australian Customs twice [fortunately because they confirmed it is illegal to import the dive knife (blunt tip) that I wanted] etc.etc.

I do Bonsai and you should see the amount of equipment I have - 'just in case'.

My new policy is - if you don't really need it don't get it [I'm going to think like a Hogarthian!!!!]

A favourite Japanese phrase of mine [I design gardens] is 'if in doubt take something away'.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom