Why do I get a vertigo like feeling at times?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bilznut

Reaction score
I was in the Keys,first dive 100'. About an hour and a half surface interval. Second dive at about 60' about half way through the dive I felt dizzy and like I was going to lose conciousnous. Signaled my buddy and slowly surfaced. Dive Master felt it may have been an ear squeeze which caused the vertigo type feeling.
Recently in Cozumel. First dive 133' feet. During an elongated safety stop in about 18' of water, same thing. Felt like I had that dizzy vertigo like feeling again. Surfaced and everything was fine.
I'm wondering if it's because sometimes I swim down (head first) into my decent instead of desending feet first. Any pointers or thoughts. It's a scary feeling.
I always stay well hydrated. It also seems to happen to me after I've hit he 100' mark.

Does the viz make a difference for you? I've gotten the "falling feeling" in very clear water with nothing but the bottom coming up at me. I also like the head--down approach with a quick descent in clear water, but prefer the feet-first method in the N. California lakes where you know you're at the bottom when it hits you.

You might want to try riding the anchor line down on your next few dives to see if orienting yourself with a somewhat fixed object helps.

Happy diving.

Ron

I felt the same way but it was only a few days after recovering from a bout with the dreaded "swimmers' ear" infection. I was dropping down through some water with 10 ft vis and lost my visual reference points. Spooky to say the least, but went away really quick after grabbing on to the anchor rope the next descent. I guess having something to visually "lock" onto helps. I don't even remember if I looked at my gauge (SPG) or anything to get a visual reference to focus on. Just can't remember, but it was spooky few minutes while I headed for the bottom. I do remember seeing the floor coming up pretty quick but was able to slow down enough not to hit the silt.
I know what you're saying, mine was probably due to my ear problem a few days earlier. This is the only occurence I can ever remember having like this.
db

I don't think it's a visual thing. It's only happened twice and I have about 90 dives under my belt (still a rookie). The Captain I was with when it hit me on the Keys dive was probably the most capable guy I've ever been on a boat with. He felt I may have gotten some water in the ear drum which causes a dizzy, vertigo type feeling. He was the guy who also said that I should start going down feet first, while equalizing. Also, both times I had crested the 100' mark on a dive immediately before. Could the pressure of that depth be playing some havoc in getting this vertigo type feeling? I can tell you this, it's a weird feeling for sure when you feel like your going to pass out under water!

SAME THING HAPPENED TO ME! I am a newbie (only 2 dives since my certification) and my 2nd dive was at the Oro Verde off Grand Cayman. Our first dive was at Trinity Caves and my max depth there was only 62 feet. I didn't feel comfortable going any deeper. After our surface interval, we went down to 50 feet for the Oro Verde. Everything was great until I got that WEIRD vertigo feeling and was convinced that I was going to pass out right then and there. It was like I got tunnel vision for a moment... sort of like in those horror movies when the image just tweaks itself sideways. I signaled my buddy (my wife) that something was wrong and I made a bee-line straight for the buoy line (maintaining depth). I almost panicked. She was obviously concerned and we started to surface, but fearing DCS, I told her we should rise EXTREMELY slowly up the line. We were literally inching our way up the line and I started to feel better as time passed. Later, after doing some research here, I thought that I must have been narc'd, but now I'm not sure.

Cayman Lover:
SAME THING HAPPENED TO ME! I am a newbie (only 2 dives since my certification) and my 2nd dive was at the Oro Verde off Grand Cayman. Our first dive was at Trinity Caves and my max depth there was only 62 feet. I didn't feel comfortable going any deeper. After our surface interval, we went down to 50 feet for the Oro Verde. Everything was great until I got that WEIRD vertigo feeling and was convinced that I was going to pass out right then and there. It was like I got tunnel vision for a moment... sort of like in those horror movies when the image just tweaks itself sideways. I signaled my buddy (my wife) that something was wrong and I made a bee-line straight for the buoy line (maintaining depth). I almost panicked. She was obviously concerned and we started to surface, but fearing DCS, I told her we should rise EXTREMELY slowly up the line. We were literally inching our way up the line and I started to feel better as time passed. Later, after doing some research here, I thought that I must have been narc'd, but now I'm not sure.
Do you remember if your decent was head or feet first? This boat Capt. Seemed to think that's why it happens (head first decent). I've tried to do feet first since then but in Cozumel we all had to hit depth quickly on a swift current dive, so again I went down finning head first. If someone can tell me this is the reason, I swear I'll never do it again!

Never had that happen to me, yet. Wonder what others have to say?

I was head-up all the way down and only horizontal for the dive at teh wreck. Head-up all the way up during ascent. Never once was my head below my heart. I don't think body position was a cause.

I am a bit out of shape though (6'1", 245#). Could the pressure at depth cause a squeeze or blockage of an artery feeding blood to my head? Time to go running!

bilznut:
Do you remember if your decent was head or feet first? This boat Capt. Seemed to think that's why it happens (head first decent). I've tried to do feet first since then but in Cozumel we all had to hit depth quickly on a swift current dive, so again I went down finning head first. If someone can tell me this is the reason, I swear I'll never do it again!

Although I have never experienced this, two of my students have. After checking with DAN they both went to see their ENT's with same diagnose. Why don't you check with DAN at www.diversalertnetwork.org - or give them a call on the non emergency medicine line published on the website. And a visit to your ENT if they suggest it would not be a bad idea either.

hope you find what the cause is, and how to remedy your problem.

cheers,
Maria

sharkdiver00:
Although I have never experienced this, two of my students have. After checking with DAN they both went to see their ENT's with same diagnose. Why don't you check with DAN at www.diversalertnetwork.org - or give them a call on the non emergency medicine line published on the website. And a visit to your ENT if they suggest it would not be a bad idea either.

hope you find what the cause is, and how to remedy your problem.

cheers,
Maria

What was their diagnosis? What is an ENT?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom