Why do I get light headed after diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wman1966

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I was diving my 2nd open water dive i had no problems durring the dive performed all my skills easily after I climbed out of the water and was walking to the truck and started getting light headed and for about 2 weeks now I have been getting light headed off and on for a week now. I hope this is temporary I really want to complete my cert.

Could I have done something durring the dive to cause this?

I am scheduled for a doctors appointment to have it checked out.

No uncontrolled decents and I followed the instructor all the time and I no issues in the water the whole time only after getting out of the water did it start.

I was diving my 2nd open water dive i had no problems durring the dive performed all my skills easily after I climbed out of the water and was walking to the truck and started getting light headed and for about 2 weeks now I have been getting light headed off and on for a week now. I hope this is temporary I really want to complete my cert.

Could I have done something durring the dive to cause this?

I am scheduled for a doctors appointment to have it checked out.

Are you sure this is not the condition that existed before? I live in the Bible Belt and it seems that many around me are somewhat light headed :wink:

On a serious note: talk to your instructor and seek a doctor with some diving knowledge.

I always feel light headed (in a very good/pleasant way) after diving, and I still feel the weightless floating sensation for at least the whole day after the dive.. and I like it.

but maybe (as english is not my native language) light headed means something else, in a bad way, as everybody else gave serious advices.

I agree with getting with a dive savvy doctor and DAN.

Weariness or even being profoundly tired after first dives is not that uncommon. Having it carry on past a few hours of R&R is a sign of something being amiss.

Is it a dizzy light head sensation or are you able to sort of feel yourself riding in surge? The surge sensation can sometimes follow me to bedtime if I was particularly agitated.

Pete

Last edited:
It's almost certain that intermittent light-headedness for two weeks following certification dives is not dive-related. The list of things that can cause light-headedness is long and includes some serious problems, so I would highly recommend seeing a physician.

I agree, see a doctor. Being nervous before, during or after a dive might cause you to breath too much which could cause some light headed feelings (perhaps hyperventilation) but if that were the case, the symptoms should have been gone long ago. References, a Registered Nurse, and good general description can be found here. Hyperventilation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Please update us when you have seen your doctor and have a diagnosis.

Back
Top Bottom