Why do I get light headed after diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It could be several things. Some ideas I have include to fast of a descent, diving to deep causing decompression sickness, during a descent if you do not give yourself enough time to equalize this could lead to having a light head. Another reason maybe that you are acending to quickly, or ascending without a safety stop depending on how deep your Max. depth is. But I would go to see my doctor if I were you because this problem may not be from diving alone or at all.

see a md soon . i had a reverse block 5 years ago that caused me to be light headed. i was dumb and didnt get it checked and burst my ear drum 12 hours later. if you are not having any pain this is less likely but an inner ear problem might still be the cause. did you have any trouble equalizing/

Thanks for your responses! I am scheduled to see a doctor on september 8th will let you know what they say.

I just got certified and get the little lite headedness on the way to the truck too. Don't mind that so much as it disappears in a couple hours. Sounds like all the more experienced divers here are right, see a doc. The thing that worried me was after my first open water dive, the cartilidge in the top of my ears felt hot really bad. Then, I had the same heat feeling in my neck, leading down from the bottom of my ears trailing down towards my adams apple. More on one side than the other. Disappeared by bedtime, and have not had the problem on the 5 dives since then.

Well I have seen the Doc and turns out I have impacted ear wax in my ear after cleaning it out the lightheadedness has gone away. I have not had a problem with wax build up since I was a kid, but the doc said the wax had trapped water behind the ear drum. I have to keep my ears clear to prevent this from happening again. So I should be good to go from here on out. Thanks for all the advise.

Well I have seen the Doc and turns out I have impacted ear wax in my ear after cleaning it out the lightheadedness has gone away. I have not had a problem with wax build up since I was a kid, but the doc said the wax had trapped water behind the ear drum. I have to keep my ears clear to prevent this from happening again. So I should be good to go from here on out. Thanks for all the advise.

So glad this was just a minor case of dirty ears :) (no offense)

Don't forget you don't stick anything smaller then your elbow into your ear canal :wink:

(says someone who regularly uses q-tips :wink:

Now let's go diving!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom