Why do I have a dive knife?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive knife, in a quick release hard "sheath". But strapped to the BC and worn "handle down", Vietnam style. This allows either hand to just fold up to the chest and pull the knife.

I was taught to wear one on the ankle, sure, but after pulling my leg free of some wreckage once, I found the knife I started with was gone for good. Decided the ankle was the wrong place for anything. Confirmed that when I got wrapped up in a drifting ghost net, and was very glad I only need to fold one arm, to pull the new knife from my chest and cut free of it.

A knife is also useful for taking flat fish, no spear needed. Shears can't do that. And they've got that joint to clean and dry. And seem like there's more to entangle, with the wide handle.

Clearly you shouldn't dive bad areas of the reef. Night dives particularly. And I don't know where this happened, but it was not in Cozumel.

Richard.
I don't think you're allowed dive knives in Coz anyway. You're not supposed to have weapons on land or in the ocean from what I've read.

Nobody gave me a hard time about the shears on my BCD when I was there last.

I keep a small knife or sometimes a shear on my harness. It comes in handy when I discover that lost fishing line or net the fishermen dudes always leave for me to discover. No sharks mess with me, either, because they know I will mess them up.

Crabs can be mean little buggers. I used to have this cat (came with the wife I used to have) and I came home from a dive one day with a couple of dungeness crabs in a bucket. I put them on the floor as I put the pot on to boil. Then my mom called so I sat in the living room and chatted with her. About five minutes into the conversation, I hear this tremendous racket coming from the kitchen. The cat was howling like it had been treed by a pack of wolves. I run into the kitchen to find it had started poking at the bucket and managed to tip it over. The crab came out and had the cat cornered with no where to run.

I almost felt bad about eating that crab. Almost.

Beats eating the cat!

Slight hijack here. Where are you storing your EMT sheers on your BCD. I have a pocket on my drysuit that I can use but I am looking possibly to keep it on my waist belt where that canister that I don't have would go.

Oh, I do have a old pink Dacor BFK (can BFK's be pink?) that I sometimes wear on my inner calf. I probably should just wear it every dive as its better to have and not need thing but I don't always wear it.

I bought the Zeagle shears and knife combo from Scubatoys. Lives in my tech shorts pocket but will attach anywhere on a BC really.

Beats eating the cat!

Cat went with the wife. I don't miss either of them. In fact, the cat is dead now. No such luck with the wife.

I can always go for more crab, though.

Slight hijack here. Where are you storing your EMT sheers on your BCD.

Waist strap on the backplate harness. I used to keep it on my calf. Then once I really needed it and discovered that I wasn't built to bend that way.

I keep EMT shears on my BCD and a blunt tip knife on the inside of left lower leg. I was taught 1 high and 1 low. If legs get tangled and can't reach knife I have shears or small BCD knife mounted to BCD. If wrapped up above waist I can reach knife on leg and cut free. Being part of a public safety dive team, our divers are required to have a minimum of 2 cutting tools in the above configuration.

I have the EMT sheers but need a little pouch to put them in. My small mag lite pouch didn't do the job and I ended up loosing the sheer. Need a way to put it on my waist belt and still be able to get to it and get it out.

I might have to make a pouch out of webbing or modify some other pouch but don't have too many lying around.

Back
Top Bottom