Why do I have a dive knife?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CT-Rich

Contributor
Reaction score
every 4 months or so, a dicussion a discussion erupts over dive tools and what is the most appropriate tool. Is it a BCD knife, a line cutter, shears or th traditional BFK? The BFK goes back to the early days of diving when the great fear was that it was imparative for defense against sharks and Giant octopus. Obviously those dangers were massively over stated, but I still have my BFK strapped to my leg. Why? Because sharks and octopuses may not be the dangers they once were, but seas are getting rougher every year.

A glock.

With bayonet attached.

After watching all episodes of Sea Hunt I figured out it's neccessary to carry a knife to defend myself from all the spies and gangsters. And killer whales.

I still have the standard knife I bought as a beginner a dozen years ago and have yet to need it. But, in CT waters and elsewhere I have seen fishing line and got snagged a bit once in Texas. Didn't need to cut it.

You need a knife so that if you encounter a great white shark, you can stab your dive buddy until he/she is bleeding profusely; and then make your own getaway. Otherwise a small pair of shears would be adequate for snags.

every 4 months or so, a dicussion a discussion erupts over dive tools and what is the most appropriate tool. Is it a BCD knife, a line cutter, shears or th traditional BFK? The BFK goes back to the early days of diving when the great fear was that it was imparative for defense against sharks and Giant octopus. Obviously those dangers were massively over stated, but I still have my BFK strapped to my leg. Why? Because sharks and octopuses may not be the dangers they once were, but seas are getting rougher every year.
Rich knives are yesteryear. Don't bring a knife to a tooth or spine fight. Glocks should now be standard with your rig. :D

Rich knives are yesteryear. Don't bring a knife to a tooth or spine fight. Glocks should now be standard with your rig. :D

LMAO! You got me on this one... a 9 mm spear gun. The crab doesn't stand a chance. I was a little worried at the end it might get used on the shark.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom