why do I have to pee

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
J

justadyver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
why do most people have the urge to pee after diving , you removing moisture from you body with every breath breathing very dry air.
you are also supposed to drink water after diving to re hydrate because of the dry air you are breathing. lets discuss

i think that also, when diving and essentially weightless, there is a net flow of blood from lower extremities to the central compartment which would also encourage diuresis. I'm not a physiologist so not absolutely certain.

why do most people have the urge to pee after diving , you removing moisture from you body with every breath breathing very dry air.
you are also supposed to drink water after diving to re hydrate because of the dry air you are breathing. lets discuss
After?? It’s usually right when I hit the water.

It really has nothing to to with the dry air you're breathing.

Because the differentials in pressure on extremities forces a shift in fluids from the extremities to the core where the kidneys registers a slight but significant fluidshift/blood pressure elevation. This causes the increase in urine output to correct the central fluid balance. And that is why you pee under water, and you are dehydrated when you get out... Sort of Ish... without going into the boring details of physiology.

Both, the urge to pee is explained in the Dan article tursiops linked but just because you are going doesn't mean not to hydrate.
You've got to hydrate, both because you are breathing dry air and because you are peeing.

Back
Top Bottom