Why do I need a Nitrox certification?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jmneill

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Flamers need not reply. Where I live the LDS's do not question anyone for c cards or Nitrox fills ever. I have a dive computer and use it. I have been using Nitrox for a couple years now and am just wondering why one would want/ need to get certified for reasons other than getting fills why on vacation and what not. Anything I am missing on this? Why is the certification a supposed requirment. In my experience I have only been asked for Nitrox cert proof when in very touristy areas.
I understand it's cheap to get the cert and all, but what valuable knowledge will a avid OW diver that never plans to do any type of technical diving gain from it?
Thanks in advance.

Because relying on a computer to take care of your dive without understand what it is doing and why it is saying what it is saying is simply not safe. Do you have a thorough understanding of Nitrox, MOD's, END's, partial pressure, oxtox, off gassing? Nitrox diving is not simply filing your tanks up, changing your gas mix in your computer, and taking off.

Edit - you may or may not already understand everything their is to know about Nitrox, but from your post it's hard to assume you do. I say this because I feel it is a very unsafe practice to dive a gas you have no training for and do not want others to do the same.

Edit 2 - This is like saying "My computer does decompression, why can't I just go do deco dives?" without understanding what decompression is.

I am also certified for Nitrox along with a few other certs. Getting the cert for Nitrox informs you of the dangers of Nitox and how to use it properly.
But that is just me wanting to live maybe a little longer and not die due to the lack of knowledge.:D

I'm in Ocala. The various springs I have been to do want to see certification cards. As far as the nitrox cert all I can think of is more money for the licensing agencies/ getting out of liability. I got the material through Ocala dive (NASE) and I already knew everything that's in it from the internet. That was just Part 1 though; Part 2 is more advanced, perhaps it has info that is not easily accessed elsewhere. I'm the kind of person who wants to know how the equations are derived though. Most people probably don't care. You really could just use an air computer and forget about it unless you're doing many dives for many days in a row. Or deeper dives.

James summed it up quite nicely. Just because you can get it does not mean you should be diving it unless you know what's going on. Understand the gas you are breathing, know its limitations, know how it's going to act in your body, the list goes on. The nitrox class is a cheap, simple, worthwhile class if you're going to dive anything other than air. It's not a difficult class, but everything you learn in there is important so you know what you can and cannot do on gases other than air.

Edit: Plus what if you want to dive nitrox on vacation somewhere? :wink:

From your post, certain questions are not evident. Do you understand what O2 percentages you should be diving at certain depths? Do you understand why it is not safe to dive Nitrox beyond a certain depth? It's not unlawful to dive without a certification either and I have known people that do it, but to me it is foolish.

Deleted by me.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom