Why do I need a Nitrox certification?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Flamers need not reply. Where I live the LDS's do not question anyone for c cards or Nitrox fills ever. I have a dive computer and use it. I have been using Nitrox for a couple years now and am just wondering why one would want/ need to get certified for reasons other than getting fills why on vacation and what not. Anything I am missing on this? Why is the certification a supposed requirment. In my experience I have only been asked for Nitrox cert proof when in very touristy areas.
I understand it's cheap to get the cert and all, but what valuable knowledge will a avid OW diver that never plans to do any type of technical diving gain from it?
Thanks in advance.

Wow, this thread generated a lot of replies. First couple of psts seem to assume you are relying on your computer but no one really answered your question.

You will learn about the dangers associated with enriched air. If you owner your own tanks and use partial pressure filling, the training will teach you about the dangers and how to minimize them. You will learn when you need to have you regulators and gauges oxygen cleaned. You will learn about the oxygen clock and how multiple 'safe' dives can still be unsafe.

As you have found out, you can use nitrox without training. Realistically, you can scuba dive without training BUT if anything goes wrong or you have a bad assumption, the train will give you a better chance of surviving.

I would never recommend anyone use nitrox without proper training. I'm okay with spending $125 to reduce my chance of injury or death.

Like a good actor a good instructor can rise above his or her material, but that is not the point. The issue not whether having an instructor can help those who want one to better master the material, the question is why those who do not want or need one are forced to bear the burden and expense when the material is such a simple extension of basic diving concepts.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom