Why do I sink?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Go inverted bring your knees to your chest roll over so your facing up and kick down hard.....wait wrong skill

Anytime I roll over to look behind me or try to do that "oh so impressive" yogi crossed leg meditation move, I sink in a head first declination. Is this because I have now placed my center of gravity (tank, trim weights, belt weights) etc. behind / lower than my flotation device (lungs)? Should I rotate my weights to the front of my weight belt?

How can I compensate so I can do those fancy DM / Instructor moves?

Can you describe your gear and setup, so that we might be a little more informed?

For me, I dive with a weight belt. My usual arrangement, with the typical AL80, is to have weights in the front pockets of the weight belt, balanced against weights in trim pockets on my tank strap. Through trial and error, I have found the correct proportion, and dive that configuration consistently.

Hydros Pro. Typically AL80. 6 pounds in the trim pockets, 8 pounds on my belt, positioned at about the kidneys.

I think I just answered my own question. but then, the original question was kind of like asking a motorcycle safety forum how to do wheelies. I have been weighed... I have been measured.... and apparently, I have been found wanting.

You left out "cheap" parlor trick.................................

Today’s my day to be charitable.

Back to gloves off starting tomorrow.

Hydros Pro. Typically AL80. 6 pounds in the trim pockets, 8 pounds on my belt, positioned at about the kidneys.

That’s a lot of weight, chief. Does your current body fat percentage drive you towards that weight or is it legacy weight from when your BOW was ensuring you don’t spontaneously go into Flying Nun mode during mask and reg drills?

That's not much for up here in cold water, he lives in NY so 14 pounds with a AL80 in a 7mm or drysuit doesn't seem like a lot to me.

yes, I have a bit of blubber keeping me floaty. I'm 250 but would ideally be at 235 if I can ever get off my ass and do cardio. 14 is probably a high estimate. My last dives in July I was running 12 pounds. My goal is to do it right at 10.

So thanks for poking me like the PIllsbury doughboy there, Mr. Clever.

That's not much for up here in cold water, he lives in NY so 14 pounds with a AL80 in a 7mm or drysuit doesn't seem like a lot to me.

thanks but that's in a 3mil. Oh man, now I feel like a boob.

So thanks for poking me like the PIllsbury doughboy there, Mr. Clever.

Hey, brother - I didn’t mean to ask in a way to make you feel ashamed. I’m carrying some extra pounds, too. It’s just a fact of life that adipose tissue is more buoyant than a person who has more lean tissue. I envy those people born with metabolisms and other genetic traits that make staying trim effortless....I’m definitely not one of them.

Back
Top Bottom