Why do old threads appear as unread?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ted S

SB Co-Founder
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
We made a few little upgrades over this weekend which have reset the thread indicators for what threads are new or old for all accounts. To reset your thread indicators (the icons that show new and old threads plus the "new posts" feature), click the "Mark All Threads Read" link located in the Quick Links drop down of any page. This is a one time deal, once you've clicked it your account will be caught up and the system will start using a "smarter" method for keeping track of what you have read moving forward.

With this upgrade we no longer rely on time as an indicator of when you have read a thread but instead actually check to see what you have or have not read. Under the old system after 15 minutes of inactivity it was assumed you had completed reading all the relevant old threads. Under the new system, you must either read a thread or mark a particular forum (or all threads) as read for them to be treated as old. This is a far more accurate way of handling threads and removes many issues faced by members who timeout before being able to read through all the threads that they find interesting.

Thank you for your understanding.

Tech --
Any chance of allowing a user option as to whether a thread is automatically marked as read when a user responds to it, not forcing it?
What happens is that there are threads that are interrelated. If You post on Thread 1, then notice in Thread 2 that it's looking for the info that was in Thread 1, you're kind of hosed -- either blow off responding, do a vague arm-wave that there's another thread, or spend the time to hunt it down (ain't gonna happen).
Similarly, you may read a thread, not want to respond yet, but 5 minutes later if you do want to respond you're stuck doing a hunt-and-peck to chase it down again.
In other words, the old functionality could actually be pretty useful, for people up here a lot.

Thanks!

There is no way to set the option on a per user basis, sorry.

Forunately you have that couch to hide behind :)

Very good, and I'm glad I found this thread. Otherwise, I would be VERY frustrated.

Do you not think that such a change as this deserves an email to the subscribers?

I'm glad you were able to find the thread (that's why we decided to make it sticky). We do not send our emails for updates but rather we mention new features in our monthly newsletter so as to avoid sending out lots and lots of mail.

Tech Admin:
I'm glad you were able to find the thread (that's why we decided to make it sticky). We do not send our emails for updates but rather we mention new features in our monthly newsletter so as to avoid sending out lots and lots of mail.
Thank god...! :D Or thank Ted.

Tech Admin:

What monthly emails? I selected it on my User CP, but have never received any.

Back
Top Bottom