Why do old threads appear as unread?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Democracy isn't the issue... we add features mostly based on user feedback and there have been more requests to fix the inactivity issues than there have to leave them in place. This is just like any other feature... a learning curve for some, logical for others.

Tech Admin:
Democracy isn't the issue... we add features mostly based on user feedback and there have been more requests to fix the inactivity issues than there have to leave them in place. This is just like any other feature... a learning curve for some, logical for others.

Nevertheless, it is a private enterprise and ruled by the owners, not the stakeholders...

I, for one, dislike having to mark all threads as read every time I check them. If I didn't read it now, I'll not want to read it later.

garyfotodiver:
I, for one, dislike having to mark all threads as read every time I check them. If I didn't read it now, I'll not want to read it later.

Hum.... I'm not so sure I agree. If I didn't read it now and had time to read it now, I won't be reading it later. However, the point of this feature is to allow people to leave their computer without fear of their new posts resetting. Our users tend to be on the board during work hours (although I'm sure they're all at lunch :D) and as such it's very common for them to have reads to surf away from the site. This solves that issue.

:medal: Gawd but I love the new software without all those damned time-outs and without threads I just posted on popping back up on Subscribed just because I posted. :cheering:

Tech Admin:
Hum.... I'm not so sure I agree. If I didn't read it now and had time to read it now, I won't be reading it later. However, the point of this feature is to allow people to leave their computer without fear of their new posts resetting. Our users tend to be on the board during work hours (although I'm sure they're all at lunch :D) and as such it's very common for them to have reads to surf away from the site. This solves that issue.

That's my point about this not being a democracy. I express my opinion rationaly and cleanly; you try to knock it down based not on objectivity, but on some nebulus concept. To paraphrase George Orwell, " All animal's opinions are equal, but some animal's opinions are more equal than others."

I have never received any emails about this board from the owners/managers, although I am registered to receive them.

is the inactivity timer back? i'm only getting a single page of new threads and everything seems to be getting marked as read...

just when i was starting to like the new way...

lamont:
is the inactivity timer back? i'm only getting a single page of new threads and everything seems to be getting marked as read...
Me too. The threads are resetting to read after a few minutes of leaving a window open while I do other stuff. It worked great for a while, but not anymore.

Scot M:
Me too. The threads are resetting to read after a few minutes of leaving a window open while I do other stuff. It worked great for a while, but not anymore.

yup, i've still got the old behavior with the inactivity timer.

lamont:

just when i was starting to like the new way...

I think I am seeing the same thing, was it changed back?

Alex

Back
Top Bottom