Why do people turn green when they are seasick?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Otter

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
We went out diving the keys just before Noel grew up to be a Hurricane. Half the boat got seasick and tossed. Prior to tossing one of the divers was an olive colored green. What is happening physiologically that makes them turn green?

Hi Otter,

One of the frequent components of sea sickness is pallor, especially of the face. This paling of the skin can give an individual a slightly "greenish cast."

Regards,

DocVikingo

I have seen pale before....almost dead white, this was olive green. Due to pigmentation, do some people turn green with a lack of oxygenated blood while others white? To be complete, he was Caucasian.

I always thought that this was colloquial in nature and not a truly observable phenomenon.

Are you sure he was Caucasian? He may have been Xanadusian... but then their skin pigment is green under normal conditions. Sorry, couldn't resist.

I've seen a lot of sea sick people, I've never seen green. I've seen lots of real pale white. I've heard the term "green around the gills" to describe being sea sick, this could explain it's origin.

Skin pigmentation varies among individuals. Those with an "olive" complexion will look quite green when there is little or no blood flow to the skin. Those with a fairer complexion will look a nasty tan, like the color of beige plastic keyboards and other computer goods.

Those with a fairer complexion will look a nasty tan, like the color of beige plastic keyboards and other computer goods.
I literally turn white as a sheet if I'm seasick. Apparently I look like "the walking dead".

I think it is all that Olive oil they are puring in their ears....right harley

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom