Why do we bash each other?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

According to Webster: whence - Definition from the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary

— from whence : from what place, source, or cause
<no one could tell me from whence the gold had come — Graham Greene>

Ergo, the American citizenry would have an understanding from (what place, source, or cause) these rights come, and what they are.

I stand that my original statement is correct.

Websters is a "cartoon dictionary" which is at least as tutological as "from whence."
Beleive what you need to believe.

Websters is a "cartoon dictionary" which is at least as tutological as "from whence."
Beleive what you need to believe.

:rofl3:
So, when confronted by facts and what is deemed by most as an authority, you choose to denigrate the source and the statement?

:rofl3:

So, why do YOU bash me, and my source?

:popcorn:

:rofl4: Perhaps you would like to try:

dictionary.com
whence&#8194;&#8194;/&#688;w&#603;ns, w&#603;ns/ [hwens, wens]

&#8211;adverb 1. from what place?: Whence comest thou?
2. from what source, origin, or cause?: Whence has he wisdom?

&#8211;conjunction 3. from what place, source, cause, etc.: He told whence he came.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/whence

whence (hwns, wns)
adv.
1. From where; from what place: Whence came this traveler?
2. From what origin or source: Whence comes this splendid feast?
conj.
1. Out of which place; from or out of which.
2. By reason of which; from which: The dog was coal black from nose to tail, whence the name Shadow.

:rofl4: Perhaps you would like to try:

dictionary.com
whence&#8194;&#8194;/&#688;w&#603;ns, w&#603;ns/ [hwens, wens]

&#8211;adverb 1. from what place?: Whence comest thou?
2. from what source, origin, or cause?: Whence has he wisdom?

&#8211;conjunction 3. from what place, source, cause, etc.: He told whence he came.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/whence

whence (hwns, wns)
adv.
1. From where; from what place: Whence came this traveler?
2. From what origin or source: Whence comes this splendid feast?
conj.
1. Out of which place; from or out of which.
2. By reason of which; from which: The dog was coal black from nose to tail, whence the name Shadow.

I didn't need to look it up, but thanks for making my point.:popcorn:

Last edited:
:) I thought not.

Wrong ... Bob has made it clear that Freedom of Speech has nothing whatsoever to do with your "rights" to post whatever you feel like on an Internet forum.
Freedom's just another word for nothing left to post!
Nothing don't mean nothing honey if it ain't free, now now.
And feeling good was easy, Lord, when Bob, he posted the blues,
You know feeling good was good enough for me,
Good enough for me and my Bobby NWGratefulDiver. :D

I think many of us are the same in person as on the board.

Someone who is crass, direct, and "rude" here, is probably the same to a point in person.

Fascinating thread and I read it in one sitting :doh: is that why my eyes are square.

Thanks for an enlightening thread. What I find most interesting is how much I have learned aside from Scuba Related issues since I joined SB.

A year ago I found it offensive when people talked about "growing a thicker skin" and felt the need to protect the sensitivities of those who were too easily hurt. Now I realize some people are indeed too sensitive and read too much into things while others use their perceived right to self expression to bash others. Neither is appropriate..it is all about balance.

Thank goodness we have dedicated Mods, the Report Button and ToS as a means of trying to keep that balance.

I believe that there is good bashing and bad bashing. Would you tell Germans in the 1930's that they should not bash earnest young members of the new Nazi Party?

Personally, I detest people who spread deliberate lies or vicious, hateful venom, and I think it is good - indeed, a civic duty - to bash them. But as Gandhi pointed out, you should consider your motive and your strategy: Are you trying to punish, or are you trying to change things? Hurting someone is unlikely to change things - it only tends to harden their position.

So, my point is that bashing has its place, and like everything, it is a matter of taste and style and wit. My favorite bash?

Lady Astor: "If I was your wife, sir, I would poison your coffee."
Winston: "If I was your husband, I would drink it,"

Back
Top Bottom