Why do we bash each other?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree bashing of the questions deters people from wanting to ask anymore questions. Anyone can look up my record here. That is precisely why I stopped asking anything.

I didn't mean to come across as excusing divers for their behavior due to the fact they are divers. I was simply stating what I found to be true in my experiences on SB. There is never an excuse for rude behavior, but rude people will appear in every aspect of our life. I agree that we all started in the same place and we should unify and help each other for our common passion.....but what SHOULD be and what is are two different things. Those of us that are fairly new to diving can appreciate the other newbie's burning desire to learn more. Some divers have been diving so long that they forget the experiences other people are having and think that "anyone who has an OW card should know that." They have been on SB for so long that when they see a new question that someone has posted and they have seen the same kind of questions for years, will tell them to hit the search button. I wasn't familiar with the search button until long after I was a member, so I had a hard time with that, and still cringe when a newbie asks a question and someone responds with "hit the search button." They forget.....that's what I tell myself. We can't control what other people say or do; we can only decide whether to learn something from what people say or ignore what we consider "bad taste," "bad etiquette," or "bad behavior." I can only say that I have learned a lot from SB, and have learned to laugh at some posts, ignore other posts, and learn from a great deal of posts.

Sounds like you have been hanging out in the DIR forum. If it wasn't for posters like TSandM (Even she had to justify herself in this thread) and some others, the DIR folks would have a really bad name. Sucks because some of my best friends are DIR and they are nothing like the way some DIR folks come across on the board (I cringe at the word DIR because of the stigma behind it).

When talking about meeting someone in person and finding a different tone, one of the Scubaboard members here said at our local club dive to us, "You guys are nothing like the DIR guys on the board." The bad name precedes the DIR community as a whole because of a few posters. Point being don't take a few bad apples as the way the whole community is.

Fortunately most people are good hearted and willing to help others. :cool2:

I really like the idea of an un-thank you button :eyebrow: Although it probably would be abused :(

Problem with the DIR forum is that most of the consistently nastiest people in there are not DIR ... they just come there looking for an argument. Almost all the train wrecks in that forum have nothing to do with DIR and everything to do with someone who felt slighted at some point in his life by a supposed DIR person.

Gets a little repetitious after a while, actually ... you can almost predict the script as you watch the trains slowly approaching each other on the same track ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

That had been my experience until about a year and a half ago. I'd always heard that "DIR divers" were real butt pirates, but every person that I had met who was DIR or GUE trained (UTD wasn't around at this point) had always been nothing other than pleasant. Then one day while on vacation in the cayman islands with my girlfriend, as we're setting up our gear we hear a loud "Oh my god!" from behind us. A local dive master (maybe instructor) had seen our long hoses and correctly identified us as diving dir (or whatever you'd like to call it). He then went on a tirade about how he had done his fundies and anybody who hadn't couldn't dive and how people would pick on him for his long hose but they all dove crappy equipment setups and he hated being on an island where nobody knew how to dive. I though "Ah, that's where the whole dir divers = turds mentality comes from". Fortunately he's been the only bad apple I've come across, at least in terms of attitude.

Fundies doesn't make someone DIR (neither does a long hose, BTW).

Did the turd mention whether or not he succeeded in passing the class?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I really like the idea of an un-thank you button :eyebrow: Although it probably would be abused :(

This was what I had thought I was alluding to in my post. I think I'll just drink muddy water and live in a hollow log.

Here is the question..Why in the world from time to time, more frequent than less, do we bash the crap out of each other with crass remarks and holier than thou attitudes, making fun of one another and exclaiming this is the only and right way to do things?

Personal insecurity and the warm, enveloping comfort of internet anonymity. Some people feel that there is so little in this world that they can affect, they feel that they elevate themselves by putting down others. Sadly, these people do nothing but make themselves look like small-minded fools to others.

Problem with the DIR forum is that most of the consistently nastiest people in there are not DIR ... they just come there looking for an argument. Almost all the train wrecks in that forum have nothing to do with DIR and everything to do with someone who felt slighted at some point in his life by a supposed DIR person.

Gets a little repetitious after a while, actually ... you can almost predict the script as you watch the trains slowly approaching each other on the same track ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

FWIW by no means was I bashing DIR. Bob you are one of the helpful people and we are lucky to have you around.

What I have seen is someone comes in asking a question and they are DIR curious, to get an answer that just slams them. That is not how someone gets introduced to a different form of diving. It is by educating them on the whys and hows. Fortunately I had DIR friends that prove exactly what my post said that they are good helpful people and there are only a few spreading the bad vibes.

Now if someone asks a question I feel I can help with I am more than happy to respond, just not in the DIR forum. My thanks to post count reflects that too.

This poster has said "Un-Thank You" to GeorgeC for this un-useful post.

This was what I had thought I was alluding to in my post. I think I'll just drink muddy water and live in a hollow log.

Well since you said it clear as mud, especially since you have not said whether you liked his post or not, enjoy the muddy water :D

I just joined SB recently. From the little I have seen, SB is a well-run and valuable community, and I am very grateful to have found a place where "All things Scuba" can be had. Humans aren't perfect and every town needs a sheriff, but for me, SB is a nice place to be.

Keep up the good work!

I though "Ah, that's where the whole dir divers = turds mentality comes from".
Did the turd mention whether or not he succeeded in passing the class?
But really, is there a need to continue the bias? When we dehumanize one person, we dehumanize everyone. While I applaud Bob's point that the guy in question was probably a DIR Wannabe rather than true DIR, it doesn't help to refer to him with a pejorative. There were a number of people who were impressed with GI3's bombastic style and chose to emulate it. It really had little to do with DIR except that accepting this diving style was merely one way to imitate Trey.

I remember the old bungeed wings of death [-]discussions[/-] brawls, where reasoning and facts went out the window as we defended our positions with an obsessive zeal. Fortunately, the forum has evolved along with its denizens and I see a lot more effort made to be reasonable. :D

FWIW, most of the current pissing contests occur in the Pub. Most of you don't go there. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom