Why do you dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spencermm

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
What is it about diving that made you start and what makes you continue?

In 1976 I worked at TRW in Southern California and my boss said if I wanted to take my girlfriend and go diving out at Catalina I could take his sailboat if I wanted to.
I said sure and the next month both of us were certified divers and took the boat about 3 months later for a fantastic trip doing 6 dives over the weekend! Been diving ever since.
Can't see the same thing twice. Now I look for historical artifacts for museums and research groups and ocassionally get to dive for fun.:D

Friend at work intoduced me and my first breath underwater I was completley hooked I was a scuba junkie from that moment on and am still one today.

I have try just about everything except skydiving (which I hope to do one day) IMPO Scuba Diving it top dog.

My big draws are photography and wildlife observation, beyond just the feeling of freedom while moving in the water.

Edit: On, and to start, it was just one of those things I always thought I would do, ever since growing up with Cousteau specials and being a young boy snorkeling in St. Croix.

Spencermm:
What is it about diving that made you start and what makes you continue?

Three main reasons:
1). It's something in which my wife and I have equal interest and enjoyment. I'm not following her in her hobby, she's not following me in mine. We both truly enjoy it and have the blessing of doing it together. There's nothing greater than having awesome experiences along side the one you love.
2). I kind of like the feeling of being part of a special group of people that have stepped out of the ordinary into a whole new experience.
3). Life on a reef is so beautiful. From the dawn of time until our era in history, few, if any have had the time, resources, or ability to experience the beauty beneath the seas. I beleive God created this beautiful masterpiece for us, here and now, to enjoy. I simply want to experience the reflection of His beauty and believe that it is there, in part, for that very purpose.

Papa Steve you are one blessed man to have your wife share this with you.

I have been trying to get my wife to go for years with zero intrest, however my two oldest daughters got certified this past year so now i have the blessing of diving with them - but would still truly love to have my wife with me, keep on praying - I do believe in miracles.

-SC3

History. Wrecks, old harbors and pottery from hundreds to thousands of years ago are there to be seen.

The wow factor seeing a hammerhead, ray or other critter was an added bonus. The full freezer from spearfishing trips was another added bonus.

Originally watching Jacques Cousteau when I was a kid. And the James Bond Thunderball movie :D

Eventually got around to learning to dive when I was in Kuwait.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom