Why does every new diver want to be an instructor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I love my wife intensely but when it comes to diving, I don't see us fitting like lego.

I've seen other couples try to dive together too and while there are exceptions, most couples don't work together as well as "friends" who dive together. And just so you don't think I'm a sexist prick, one or two of my favorite ever dive buddies (and some of the best divers I've ever had the pleasure of meeting) have been women. It's just that relationships between men are defined by what you do together and if you ask me, that's the best foundation for dive buddies too. Two people working as a team, committed to the sport and committed to the task. Relationships get all foggy that way.

This is disappointing. I thought my girlfriend's plans to get certified might possibly be the end to my 'I don't have a buddy' problems.

I love my wife intensely but when it comes to diving, I don't see us fitting like lego.

I've seen other couples try to dive together too and while there are exceptions, most couples don't work together as well as "friends" who dive together. And just so you don't think I'm a sexist prick, one or two of my favorite ever dive buddies (and some of the best divers I've ever had the pleasure of meeting) have been women. It's just that relationships between men are defined by what you do together and if you ask me, that's the best foundation for dive buddies too. Two people working as a team, committed to the sport and committed to the task. Relationships get all foggy that way. R..

I have more the opposite problem. I had to drag my husband into diving with me. He kicked and screamed a little but now I think he loves it just as much as I do. So it is possible to have a relationship and be dive buddies.

This is disappointing. I thought my girlfriend's plans to get certified might possibly be the end to my 'I don't have a buddy' problems.

Well... it might work for you, but my strategy was to have kids and wait 14 years so I could grow my own. :)

R..

Sometimes that doesn't work. The USAF decided my son would be of more use flying over the desert making bad guys go away than diving with dad :=(.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

it is possible to have a relationship and be dive buddies.

Yes, of course.

My wife and I like to travel and we're both very relaxed and adventuresome about it. We met while traveling and it's one of those things that we intrinsically share. On that level, we're lego.

ON diving however... I took her snorkeling in the south of India when we first met and in one afternoon we saw a sardine ball and a nautilus that had come up from the deep and was swimming around in 15 metres of water.

*I* was euphoric. It was better than (well.. at that point.... as good as) sex. My screams of jubilation filled the skies.....

She... on the other hand... didn't enjoy her self at all, thought the sardines were scary, was worried about sharks, didn't even see the nautilus and I had to drag her 1km back to shore because she got all cold and cramped up.

At a later date, her intro dive in a pool made me feel sorry for the instructor (who was not me) and at that point I told her, "I'm very sorry, but we can do anything together except this". She agreed.

R..

---------- Post added January 22nd, 2013 at 03:00 PM ----------

Sometimes that doesn't work. The USAF decided my son would be of more use flying over the desert making bad guys go away than diving with dad :=(.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

You're one of the most committed instructors I know and I'm sure your son will see that too and he'll be lucky to dive with you.

Either way :wink: nothing in his day-job could be worse than diving with his dad, right? :D

R..

Well... it might work for you, but my strategy was to have kids and wait 14 years so I could grow my own. :)

R..

I'm too impatient for a 14 year + 9 month strategy. And as Jim Lapenta pointed out, it's not guaranteed to be successful. So I'd have to have several children to improve the odds. As expensive as it is, my current solution of hiring a DM every time I want to dive is still more cost-effective.

I'm too impatient for a 14 year + 9 month strategy. And as Jim Lapenta pointed out, it's not guaranteed to be successful. So I'd have to have several children to improve the odds. As expensive as it is, my current solution of hiring a DM every time I want to dive is still more cost-effective.

LOL indeed.

I'm VERY proud of my kids. My daughter (the one I was talking about) plays piano better than I do (which... if I do say so myself... is not an easy task), she follows the highest intellectual level of education available for kids her age in Holland, speaks (at last count) 4 or 5 languages to some degree or another, is studying another 2 dead languages at school and aside from piano is taking drama/acting lessons extra-curricularly because she thinks it's fun.

All of this on top of going diving with me every now and then in the pool, which she's been doing since she was 10.

My son is also amazing in some respects. He taught himself to skate in a couple of weeks, he plays soccer at a level that makes it possible that he will "just" or "just not" get selected to go on to (sub)pro level in his early teens. He took a an orange belt in a martial art after a month or so of training (it took me 10 years to get a black-belt) and intellectually, while he doesn't have the full 150-odd IQ of his sister (something that most members of my father's side have), everything he wants to do, he does very VERY well.

As a father, looking at these two children, I'm amazed... impressed, and humbled by what they can do and how much energy they have to clamp on and achieve the things they want to achieve. If the wet-dream of every parent is that their kids turn out better than they did, then I'm already there.

Where was I going with this... oh yeah, that you can't just see kids in a cost/benefit analysis. There's so much more to it than that.

R..

The USAF decided my son would be of more use flying over the desert making bad guys go away

i do both, they can't be compared, Fighter Flying is adrenaline, Diving is meditation, personally i prefer both; equally, can't complain as i aspired to and instructing in both. that's why i said there is nothing wrong is aspiring, every one does, it is human i guess

Sooo, if I become a dive instructor, will it be easier or harder for me to find a diving boyfriend? ;p I need someone to go on diving vacations with me! (Alas, if I were a dive instructor, perhaps I wouldn't be able to afford diving vacations...)

I'll be your dive boyfriend, but the brother don't do dive vacation though. It's California or nothing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom