Why don't most brands sell service parts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SP was very "tricky" in their methods. In the "old days" the free parts for life and lifetime warranty could be voided if you didn't annually have your gear serviced by a partner shop, and you had to maintain the record of proof. If you missed a window, you were able to "buy your way back in" by paying for a parts kit, and having your shop service the regulator.

They killed off the whole PFL for individual components, and went to a program only if you bought a package. So, if you bought just regulators, you didn't get it. Just a BC, same. You had to buy regs, bc, and a computer to qualify. Only need to replace a single item? Nope...

They also eliminated the "buy back in". I fell out of my coverage the year my daughter was born, and we didn't dive.....

The stupid thing is, you don't need to service your equipment annually.......

The whole thing is simply crap.

I love my ScubaPro regs, but if I had to do it over again, I'd not have such a pile of them. I will admit however that I have bought very few brand new regulators. The used market and DIY service has been a good route. Even with their attempted BS overt monopolistic control of service kits.

SP was very "tricky" in their methods. In the "old days" the free parts for life and lifetime warranty could be voided if you didn't annually have your gear serviced by a partner shop, and you had to maintain the record of proof. If you missed a window, you were able to "buy your way back in" by paying for a parts kit, and having your shop service the regulator.
Both of those things are prohibited in magnisun-moss. They can't require you to service anywhere in particular, and it's on the manufacturer to prove you didn't perform maintenance (presumably by evidence of damage caused by the lack thereof) if they want to void you. You don't have to prove that you did, unless they've come up with evidence and you're refuting that.

They killed off the whole PFL for individual components, and went to a program only if you bought a package. So, if you bought just regulators, you didn't get it. Just a BC, same. You had to buy regs, bc, and a computer to qualify. Only need to replace a single item? Nope...
That's a bummer for new customers. Certainly could have affected some purchase decisions. The real problem is that they also decided that people who previously had the fpfl and lifetime warranty no longer had it if we hadn't purchased a package.

When I was only paying for labor on the service, I really didn't mind annual service for my regs. Kind of annoying that it had to be right on time, but I was happy to pay the $75 a year for service on three stages that was charged around town here. It gave me some peace of mind that everthing inside was probably about as good as new. I also liked going to the shop and browsing the showroom for a bit while waiting for my regs. Usually I spent a heck of a lot more than the service charge on impulse buys...

I agree with you, I do love my regulators. They work very well. It's too bad they're tainted by this illegal business practice on Scubapro's part. Sooner or later I'll put em up for sale and get the Poseidon regs I've been dreaming of for a few years... but that'll have to wait until after I've replaced some other gear :).

Price and fear over brand reputation are probably the two biggest factors.

As far as price goes.... I am personally not interested in winning a customer based on price, as they are always only your customer until the next nickel. At Deep6, we are not the cheapest, nor do we intend to be. We want to offer exceptional products at a reasonable price, making us far better value than our competitors, which I think we do well.

As for fear over brand reputation.... that is often FUD being spread around. Can't beat a product fairly? Just spread false information and sell Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt. It is literally a tactic based on misleading a customer, which has unfortunately become heavily ingrained in the dive industry. It is sad it works so well.

As far as price goes.... I am personally not interested in winning a customer based on price, as they are always only your customer until the next nickel. At Deep6, we are not the cheapest, nor do we intend to be. We want to offer exceptional products at a reasonable price, making us far better value than our competitors, which I think we do well.

As for fear over brand reputation.... that is often just FUD being spread around. Can't beat a product fairly? Just spread false information and sell Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt. It really is unfortunate this marketing works so well. It is literally a tactic based on misleading a customer, which has unfortunately become heavily ingrained in the dive industry.
Hi Landon,
Just a few questions.
Do you plan to be around 10-15 or even 20+ years from now, and in the long run do you plan to support 15 or 20 yo regs with parts?
Do you have any plans to develop a balanced piston design (maybe you do now IDK?).
What would you do if US relations with China deteriorate to the point that commerce becomes impossible. Are you prepared to bring manufacturing back to the US? Or at least a friendly political partner. Your stuff is manufactured in China correct?
Many people who do their own servicing and have an extraordinary interest in regulators and gear question these things. For instance, Aqualung still uses and supports parts for it’s Conshelf regulator (kit #900001) since 1967. AFAIK the Conshelf is still manufactured in a plant in the LA area.
Are you planning on having that kind of track record?
Scubapro also has some legendary designs that divers have grown very fond of that have also been around for a very long time. Regulator designs and support is something we don’t take lightly.
I’m even skeptical of companies like Atomic since that company was started from disgruntled political motivations. How long are they going to be around?
Dacor was another solid company and now they are gone.
This is some of the legacy that you’re up against. It goes deeper than fear tactics and marketing. It’s established track record.
I’ve never used any Deep 6 gear but hear positive things about it.
I’ve also used Hog regs, I bought a set and it was fine, but I ended up selling it.
I remember when Hog was the darling of scubaboard, what happened to them? It seems like they were a here-now company and then they were abandoned. I have never seen any of that stuff in any dive shop.
So now it’s the Deep 6 show up on stage. what are you doing to be better than them? Who’s the next one?
I’m not trying to be confrontational, but these are legitimate questions and things that the long time scuba diving and DIY community thinks about.

Hi Landon,
Just a few questions.
Do you plan to be around 10-15 or even 20+ years from now, and in the long run do you plan to support 15 or 20 yo regs with parts?
Do you have any plans to develop a balanced piston design (maybe you do now IDK?).
What would you do if US relations with China deteriorate to the point that commerce becomes impossible. Are you prepared to bring manufacturing back to the US? Or at least a friendly political partner. Your stuff is manufactured in China correct?
Many people who do their own servicing and have an extraordinary interest in regulators and gear question these things. For instance, Aqualung still uses and supports parts for it’s Conshelf regulator (kit #900001) since 1967. AFAIK the Conshelf is still manufactured in a plant in the LA area.
Scubapro also has some legendary designs that divers have grown very fond of that have also been around for a very long time. Regulator designs and support is something we don’t take lightly.
I’m even skeptical of companies like Atomic since that company was started from disgruntled political motivations. How long are they going to be around?
This is some of the legacy that you’re up against. It goes deeper than fear tactics and marketing. It’s established track record.
I’ve also used Hog regs, I bought a set and it was fine, but I ended up selling it.
I remember when Hog was the darling of scubaboard, what happened to them? It seems like they were a here-now company and then they were abandoned. I have never seen any of that stuff in any dive shop.
So now it’s the Deep 6 show up on stage. what are you doing to be better than them? Who’s the next one?
I’m not trying to be confrontational, but these are legitimate questions and things that the long time scuba diving and DIY community thinks about.
Nice hatchet job here Eric. Someone in a failed state couldn't accomplish this in his wildest dreams.

Hi Landon,
Just a few questions.

Yes, we plan to be around in 20+ years, and we will support customers with parts as long as they need them. If for some reason we did not have parts for an old model, we would offer them an upgrade pathway. We are reasonable people, we are humans too. We try to work together with customers for a solution. That said, a regulator requires simple O-rings, a diaphragm, a seat, and a sintered filter, which aren't hard to maintain a supply chain for.

Personally, I don't see a need for a piston as I prefer diaphragms. However, I am a businessman, so if we got enough demand for a piston, it might be in the future. Overall though, we don't like to comment on future product development on SB given how it goes.

I wouldn't do much, as it wouldn't really affect us. The whole "your products are made in China" mantra is just more FUD used to disparage us. We do not manufacture our products in China.

We use the USA, Italy/Scandinavia, and Taiwan currently. In the past we have also utilized other locations for various products. These are of course many of the same locations used by many other brands as well.

For me it is about finding the place best suited to produce the product in question. While I would prefer to produce more in the US, there is a limit to what manufacturing can be brought back here, as the US doesn't have some of the required capabilities anymore.

How long is any company going to be around? Statistically speaking, companies existed on average for something like 60 years, now it's less than 1/3 of that. Less than 25% of companies make it beyond the 10 year mark.

To put it quite simply - just because they were here, doesn't mean they will be here in the future, its a false metric.

As I have stated before in other posts, Deep6 represents a very small portion of my assets. I do this because I want to, not because I need to, which puts me in a very stable position, and better off than many other dive related businesses out there.

The fear, uncertainty, and doubt that we will not exist in the future because a competitor existed first? Again, this is no guarantee at all, just a misleading marketing talking point.

As far as established track record, I think ours speaks for itself, and we have provided exceptional customer service since day 1.

It would be poor form for me to comment on a competitor.

I think we have already shown what we can do better. Our customer support is excellent, our products are exceptional, and our value is unmatched. Our fins are one of the most popular designs available, our regulator performance and sales are getting a lot of notice, and we have some cool new offerings coming soon.

Attempted or not, this did come across as quite confrontational, and many will read it that way. Several of the questions weren't really questions being asked for an answer were they? Its a statement in the form of a question to imply someone won't be around in "10-15 or even 20+ years", which is by definition an FUD tactic.

That said, I do want to highlight if the DIY community is focusing on anything, why aren't they focusing on the fact that my business partner is the one person who has been pushing for DIY in this industry for nearly 2 decades? He quite literally pioneered the option.

Either way, we will continue to do what we do, which is to build products that we want, and offer services that we would desire from the dive industry. Hopefully others will see the benefit to what we do and chose to support us.

All the best and happy diving! I am going to go enjoy my birthday!

@LandonL

In the case of global nuclear war where civilization ends, I want to know if Deep 6 will still support its customers. I demand an answer!

That said, I do want to highlight if the DIY community is focusing on anything, why aren't they focusing on the fact that my business partner is the one person who has been pushing for DIY in this industry for nearly 2 decades? He quite literally pioneered the option.
You guys do deserve (and often get on this site) high praise for your focus on that issue. Love my orange deep6 fins!
I don't love the popups asking me to join your mailing list on nearly every page... :)

I remember when Hog was the darling of scubaboard, what happened to them? It seems like they were a here-now company and then they were abandoned.
If I recall the story correctly, Chris Richardson (@cerich) was behind the positive happenings at HOG/EDGE. He left that company to form Deep6.

@LandonL

In the case of global nuclear war where civilization ends, I want to know if Deep 6 will still support its customers. I demand an answer!
WOPR could tell you.

Yes, we plan to be around in 20+ years, and we will support customers with parts as long as they need them. If for some reason we did not have parts for an old model, we would offer them an upgrade pathway. We are reasonable people, we are humans too. We try to work together with customers for a solution. That said, a regulator requires simple O-rings, a diaphragm, a seat, and a sintered filter, which aren't hard to maintain a supply chain for.

Personally, I don't see a need for a piston as I prefer diaphragms. However, I am a businessman, so if we got enough demand for a piston, it might be in the future. Overall though, we don't like to comment on future product development on SB given how it goes.

I wouldn't do much, as it wouldn't really affect us. The whole "your products are made in China" mantra is just more FUD used to disparage us. We do not manufacture our products in China.

We use the USA, Italy/Scandinavia, and Taiwan currently. In the past we have also utilized other locations for various products. These are of course many of the same locations used by many other brands as well.

For me it is about finding the place best suited to produce the product in question. While I would prefer to produce more in the US, there is a limit to what manufacturing can be brought back here, as the US doesn't have some of the required capabilities anymore.

How long is any company going to be around? Statistically speaking, companies existed on average for something like 60 years, now it's less than 1/3 of that. Less than 25% of companies make it beyond the 10 year mark.

To put it quite simply - just because they were here, doesn't mean they will be here in the future, its a false metric.

As I have stated before in other posts, Deep6 represents a very small portion of my assets. I do this because I want to, not because I need to, which puts me in a very stable position, and better off than many other dive related businesses out there.

The fear, uncertainty, and doubt that we will not exist in the future because a competitor existed first? Again, this is no guarantee at all, just a misleading marketing talking point.

As far as established track record, I think ours speaks for itself, and we have provided exceptional customer service since day 1.

It would be poor form for me to comment on a competitor.

I think we have already shown what we can do better. Our customer support is excellent, our products are exceptional, and our value is unmatched. Our fins are one of the most popular designs available, our regulator performance and sales are getting a lot of notice, and we have some cool new offerings coming soon.

Attempted or not, this did come across as quite confrontational, and many will read it that way. Several of the questions weren't really questions being asked for an answer were they? Its a statement in the form of a question to imply someone won't be around in "10-15 or even 20+ years", which is by definition an FUD tactic.

Either way, we will continue to do what we do, which is to build products that we want, and offer services that we would desire from the dive industry. Hopefully others will see the benefit to what we do and chose to support us.

All the best and happy diving! I am going to go enjoy my birthday!
Thank you for your detailed answers.
Again, I was not attempting to be confrontational, I just ask hard pointed questions.
You did a good job answering my questions, thank you.

You have to understand where I’m coming from.
I’m currently setting up my dive buddy with a set of regulators because he and his wife just retired and are watching their money. He’s my plumber and takes care of me. He’s a good friend so I want to take care of him with regs and service.
He has two sets of regs for both him and his wife, an Aeris and Genesis. The Aeris is now obsolete and the Genesis is a bargain brand that not many dive shops want to deal with even though parts are sort of available if you know where to look.
This is the scenario that I want to avoid in the future, that’s why I ask these questions. I was delegated to find him and his wife new regs that are reliable, perform well, and a good value which certainly helps but is not a deal breaker. I will be doing the servicing so I need to get parts.

If I know for certain Deep6 will be around for the long run and I can always get parts then I would certainly consider your brand. I am partial to piston designs just because of their simplicity and reliability, but that doesn’t mean diaphragms are out of the question. As long as the first stage seats are solid and not prone to failure I’m fine with them.
In this day and age there seems to be a trend of products (in many areas of life) that are here-now products that come and go. It’s a fickle world. Not many have a long term plan to survive through thick and thin. Many seem to tree top and when popularity declines they bail out with their profits and move on.
The scuba industry has this problem with buy outs and then the brand get swallowed up and disappears. This is always a concern.

Also, thanks for clearing up the confusion about China. This is good news.
I’m not too thrilled with Chinese made goods and try to avoid buying products made there based on their horrendous track record with civil rights etc. They do not have our best interests in mind and it really bothers me. Call me nationalistic, but nothing will ever change if people continue to turn a blind eye to the problems of buying crap from China. I personally choose to try and not to support companies gladly doing business in China with no desire to change because of cheap labor and maximum profits. I’m not opposed to other countries making stuff but they need to be allies not political foes, and they need to be politically stable.

What does FUD mean?

Thank you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom