Why Don't you Have a Pony yet?...or ever

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SB is the place to come to for universal truths...didn´t you know Diver0001?

No, but since he has been 2 kilometeres in to the caverns in Florida or Mexico, I was comfortable and with his procedures and leadership combined with my own impression of the conditions.

If people are sincerely interested in the dive, I would love to talk about it and the way it was planned. No...it won't wow you in terms of deco or reel work, but for me, it was my next step. Sometimes I get a little suspect that the questions are just a plan to chastise. Which would not be right since everyone here at the moment, as far as know, decides which rules they will break.

I am hoping the solo forum can be a place where there is a free exchange of ideas and hypotheticals, without bashing people and telling them they are sinning against mankind if they assume a risk you deem foolish. Now, if you honestly think someone is going to kill themselves, certainly try and convince them why. Citing the "rules" of a given agency when the people here are from all over the world with all sorts of backgrounds strikes me as paternalistic. So, I am hoping for one little corner of santuary where we can talk directly about the diving we are actually doing and not just put on a show for anyone perusing the internet. Freedom and free will is terrifying to some people.

Oh, and another thing. We make jokes about "learning on the internet, SB, etc". I have learned a lot on here by figuring out who knows their craft and who is a blowhard. There are some very knowledgable people giving me information here on SB and for me to read multiple opinions and then go forward with my OWN plan fits my life approach. Many of the instruction out there is poor and just because you pay for a class and get a sticker and tout a kosher cert, it is not the only way to learn.

catherine96821:
If people are sincerely interested in the dive, I would love to talk about it and the way it was planned.

Yeah, please do, I'm curious.

Sometimes I get a little wary that it is a trap and a plan to chastise. Which would not be right since everyone here at the moment, as far as know, decides which rules they will break.

It's also a place to exchange thoughts on which personal boundaries we wouldn't cross...right?

Do you feel like you're under fire for the guideline thing?

R..

I will be in a minute, I guess.

Actually, I already described it when I posted the pictures. My goal was two-fold. One was to get the pictures. But the main goal for me was to get over my claustrophobia. Chris, is a very calm and smart guy that I have been around a lot. He was very supportive of my "need" to do this dive. He understood my NEED to do it. I am often drawn to experiences that I want with certain people. I knew he was the one I wanted to do it with. So I did. It was great.
For me, the challenge was to sort out if I get narced at 127 or if I was just having fear of being confined in a space. I was in the subway in Paris last year and it broke down. It was very hot and smelly. I kid you not, I struggled not to come out of my skin. I want to get over that sort of thing. I had a bit of a victory down there with two close friends. It was bigger than the risk. I think that is an important concept, being afraid, and learning how to plan being un-afraid. I have lived here on this rock four years and there is no one here better than Chris to do this dive with. The logistics aligned themselves...it was a real opportunity for me.

catherine96821:
I want to get over that sort of thing.
Doing it underwater might not be the best choice. Not a lot of room for error.

catherine96821:
I am often drawn to experiences that I want with certain people.

I am too, but they usually say no.... :D

I knew he was the one I wanted to do it with. So I did. and it was great.
For me, the challenge was to sort out if I get narced at 127 or if I was just having fear of being confined in a space. I was in the subway in Paris last year and it broke down. It was very hot and smelly. I kid you not, I struggled not to come out of my skin. I want to get over that sort of thing. I had a bit of a victory down there with two close friends. It was bigger than the risk. I think that is an important concept,
being afraid and learning how to plan being un-afraid. I have lived here on this rock four years and there is no one here better than Chris to do this dive with. The logistics aligned themselves...it was a real opportunity for me.

Why did you choose this particular way to go about it?

R..

JeffG:
Doing it underwater might not be the best choice. Not a lot of room for error.

No way out, no choice, sink or swim. Very effective choice.

Diver0001:
I am too, but they usually say no.... :D

Why did you choose this particular way to go about it?

R..

Good question. I am different like that.... My daughter said once when she was two and i was driving on the freeway that she liked the way it felt in her stomach when I drove fast to pass a car. I remember thinking, uh-oh.

Rob, you know with diving, a lot of things have to come together to make a dive happen.

Living this isolated, I don't have the option to jump in the car, drive somewhere hours away.

so, given that I had the best guy, I was not going to tell him how to do the dive. It seemed very reasonable and it is not that far to the engine room. There is no silt except for the rust we dislodged a bit going through the passageways. Still, you can see in the photos excellent viz.

We went to dinner a few days later and he told me fascinating stories of camping in air pockets in caverns, toting tanks in for days ahead of time and parking the cylinders there. The boat captain (also there, said he had never heard him use so many words in two years.)

Sometimes it is a great experience to do something with a person who is inspired. This little dive did not inspire him, but i could tell he enjoyed seeing me catch the bug and get over my fear.

I am just a housewife, you know? Trying to stay inspired.

Would that be called a sense of adventure?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom