Why Don't you Have a Pony yet?...or ever

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

catherine96821:
No way out, no choice, sink or swim. Very effective choice.
I guess I should fix my fear of heights by flying an ultralight :wink:

I am cured.

Now, MOF, thats dangerous...

Sounds like it was an awesome dive. I myself am jealous. Although I do penetrate some of the local wrecks, they are really rarely more than glorified swim thrus. Nothing where you would have to study deck plans, etc. I would love to get inside the big wrecks, but I realize that for me, I need more training before I move to the next level. I am sure to some, I am already pushing the limits by entering an overhead environment solo. I guess we all have our limit.

catherine96821:
I am a bit puzzled by Snowbear's advice. Is she saying to only use doubles?
Why don't you ask her?

She did not say, nor did she mean to imply to only use doubles. Doubles definitely have their place, but if you think about the "advice" she posted (which was not posted as advice, only what she would do, BTW).... do you really think doubles are the optimum in streamlining?

catherine96821:
I am hoping the solo forum can be a place where there is a free exchange of ideas and hypotheticals, without bashing people and telling them they are sinning against mankind if they assume a risk you deem foolish.
However you choose to dive, Snowbear hasn't and isn't bashing you for it. It's unfortunate that you think she would come into a thread you started in the solo forum and do so :frown:

I never meant to imply that Snowbear advised anyone to use doubles. What I meant to say is that Snowbear seemed to say that a pony/deco bottle could be an entanglement hazard in a confined space and that I think it would be a good idea to dive with a redundant air source in an overhead environment (hence, doubles).

It is difficult to have a discussion at all if we're going to be so touchy. :rolleyes:

yea, I was just asking you what you thought she meant because you were right there and said you were taking advanced nitrox, etc. No other intention. So, if a pony is no good, nor doubles, then what do you take into a 127 ft wreck for bail out? That was my question....I can handle differing opinions.

I like to dive, I like to kid around, probably both too much.

Speaking of touchy, ya'll sure are touching a lot of stuff in your Coz pics. (smiling)

Catherine, if I were doing the dive I would probably use doubles. Double AL 80s aren't much wider than my shoulders. Or perhaps sling a pony because if it became entangled, you could easily see it. Having something entangled on your back is the most dangerous. 127 feet is rather deep for a single AL 80 anyway. I've also entertained the thought of trying double 50s, but I don't have any. I usually dive with a steel 100 and would make a 127 ft. rec dive with 100 cu feet very comfortably. If you have access to 50s, maybe you could experiment with double 50s?

If you dive with a slung pony, you could enter first and have your buddy push the pony through after you. It really depends on the hazards inside the wreck.

Everyone seems to be touchy lately, chica...

BTW, now taking Decompression Procedures. Finiished Advanced Nitrox.

oh, that sounds interesting (the 50's). I don't know what my problem is, but I am just not as strong as I need to be for too much more. maybe now that I am an old wreck, I am getting weaker...

thanks for the advice, and good luck with the class.

Doubles are damn hard for me to carry too. I strapped on a pair of LP95 steel doubles while sitting on stairs leading to a dock and I literally could not get up! If I am backrolling off a boat, I can sort of fling myself over the edge.

and imagine adding the camera with big arms and strobes. You just have a limit you know? I have started to do a bit more freediving again.

Guess it is time for a new thread.

Back
Top Bottom