Why Don't you Have a Pony yet?...or ever

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am a minimalist, I don't wear a helmet unless the law forces me to and I don't carry a pony or any other alternate air source. To each his own.

I have been using a pony for all dives over 60 feet for like 15-20 years. I honestly can not feel comfortable at 80 ft without a pony, I just feel guilty, sorta like I'm driving my truck after having 4 beers or something. I know both activities are less than responsible, however neither is really "unsafe".

I generally use a 13 cu-ft for all dives, and I commonly do solo deco dives to 200 feet. I try to keep my deco under 6-7 minutes which is basically what I hope I could do on my pony if my primary tank failed.

A 13 cu-ft tank is large enough to get you up from 130 feet and do a little deco if you have no problem on the bottom. A 19 is only a little heavier and longer and probably doesn't have any more drag. A 30 cu-ft tank is way too heavy and a pain to take and I have seen many people that buy them don't use them because they are just too much for normal recreational open water dives.

Get a Pony! We can argue later how to rig it best. H-valves are more expensive, especially if you have more than a few tanks and they really do not provide complete redundancy.

My wife rarely dives over 100 feet and I got her a 6 cu-ft tank. Even this tiny bottle will get you up safely from 100 feet, although you might not have enough air to do a safety stop. If you are worried about drag, the 6 cu-ft tank will have negligible affect in the water.

sounds good...the 6 ot the 13. I appreciate all the honest input so very much.

Paul, yea, 3-6 minutes would be fine at my depths. Should I have a seperate reg or switch it as dennis is planning? thanks I will now have no ditchable weight, and may be overweighted. what do you think about no weight?

d, why do you say that?....I process well, remember?

Catherine, I told you I have a separate reg. What do you mean by switch it?

oh...oops. thats what i thought but then you were talking about changing tanks, so i got confused. i thought you were going to unscrew ...never mind...I will be leaving now.

catherine96821:
oh...oops. thats what i thought but then you were talking about changing tanks, so i got confused. i thought you were going to unscrew ...never mind...I will be leaving now.

I think what we talked about was the fact you can easily disconnect the pony with that bracket.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom