Why expensive undergarments?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jonnythan

Knight Scublar
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Most drysuit divers I see use the specially made drysuit undergarments.

What advantages do these have over some polypro and fleece layers?

...type of diving and personal preferences. The undie market is such a nice little niche, that they seem to unapologetically taking advantage. So, I feel your pain.

You've got the first thing right, in that regardless of what you use, it needs to be a synthetic/wicking fabric. Non-diving specific layering pieces, fm ski shops for example can work, but the question is, will it work for you and is it the best for the job?

When deciding what to wear, of course you gotta consider
1) what type of diving you do
2) how cold you get
3) any weird personal preferences...to which I have plenty.

My answers
1) Avg temp's 40-60, current max BT's 60-70 min, foresee it progressively increasing over the next couple of years
2) Average
3) I hate two pieces (bunch's up and can leave a cold spot), I like stretch, and as a member of the fairer sex, it's got to fit well.

What I've been wearing: DUI's actionwear.
What I'll be wearing in 2 weeks: custom made 300S polartec jumpsuit for appx. $100
Future purchase: 400G Thinsulate or equivalent.
(All of which I'd layer w/ polypro's.)

The areas where the non-made-for-diving undies lack are:
availability of one piece
availability of thinsulate
no attention paid to the amount of added buoyancy
high necks are often used in the tops, and would need to be altered to not interfere w/ the neck seal

So, are these things worth the prices they charge? Probably not, but the good news is, is that there's a lot out there for comparison.

Christine

I wear my dad's 1978 Arctic Cat snowmobile suit. It was free and still smells of 2 cycle engine exhaust........what nostalgia. I won't wear his old wool Korean war cap that he used to wear snowmobiling..I draw the line at the suit.

There are a lot of great, inexpensive undersuits out there that I would like to try someday-Bare's line in particular.

It was $190 with the boots, which come up almost to your knees.

It is extemely warm, and wicks so well that after a strenuous dive, It always looks like my drysuit leaked, as the outside of my undergarment is covered in droplets.

According to the website, this material they use works so well at wicking, it can keep you (somewhat) warm even if you had a drysuit leak.

Several people that I have talked to have said they were able to drop some weight after switching from the DUI suit to this suit.

Originally posted by Weezle
Several people that I have talked to have said they were able to drop some weight after switching from the DUI suit to this suit.

Hi Weezle...

I have been considering a Weezle (word of the day:) ) since reading about them last summer. I've heard that they are fantastically warm, but you need to add more air to your suit, than would otherwise be necessary, in order to "fluff up" the inner material. Have you found this to be true?

It's a great price, and they offer a diverse range of sizes, so it's definitely still worth considering for me.

TIA for your thoughts,
Christine

chrisnycdive:

I have only dove with the Weezle undergarment, but with talking to several people at the local "hole" who wear weezle they commented on dropping several pounds when switching from DUI's thickest layer.
As far as them being warm, oh man are they toasty! - I have the thickest one, and I never even felt the cold at all...like being in a cocoon.

The only recommendation I have is that since they are stowed in a "stuff-sack", give them a few minutes after taking them out to let them fluff up. - once in the water, I was warm no matter how much or little air in the suit.

- Weezle

Even though I was originally hoping to get the 400G Thinsulate fm DUI, the lack of woman's sizes and the HUGE :eek: price tag kinda erked me. No one likes to pay more for something that doesn't fit.

The Weezle small/long on the otherhand, would be a perfect fit, and at $250 cheaper.

Hmm....I'm thinking we have a winner.

Thanks again!

I understand where you are coming from. My LDS - Rhea's Diving here in Tennessee recently began focusing on Weezle's undergarments because of the added warmth and lower price...They are selling like hotcakes (whatever those are???)

they're waterproof/wind resistant

come in snazzy colors (wonder what color i'd want under by black drysuit?)

can sub as a pillow on the 2 hr boat ride or camping at the quarry

Do hotcakes sell like hotcakes?

Hi Christine-

In your post you mention:

>"What I'll be wearing in 2 weeks: custom made 300S polartec >jumpsuit for appx. $100 "

If you don't mind me asking, how did you manage a 300S for $100, let alone a custom?

I too have the action wear and like it for summer diving as I find it easy to take off, mix and match during surface intervals,etc. I rigged a simple bungy "clip" to keep the 2 pieces from separating...hate that too.

I have also been planning on either the 400G or weazle for the near future myself.

Cheers!
Jon

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom