Why Halcyon?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Because I have the cinch, I can fit my rig fairly snug (which I like as I twist around a lot doing photos and videos), so the ability to enlarge the arm loop for egress is nice especially in a nasty chop. Then, I just snug it down when I gear up before the next splash. It may not be for everyone, but I feel I have learned to get the most out of it. I might add, that while I like the hog/dir concept, some advocates can find a reason to criticize anything that adds even a modicum of convenience as violating the purity of the concept. I find the cinch a very practical, useful improvement for my type of diving, and commend Halcyon for offering it.

Halcyon said that they could not repair my old pioneer wing. I had not heard anything from them since last Thursday and today UPS showed up and dropped off a box from Halcyon. Odd, I figured it was them sending me back my old wing. I opened it and it was a brand new Eclipse 30 and single tank adapter, there was an invoice for no charge saying it was replaced under warranty. I guess that answers the original question... Why Halcyon??

I guess that answers the original question... Why Halcyon??
So it would seem. :) Glad it worked out for you. Thanks for letting us know the outcome.

I have a cinch. But it does not slide as easy as the demonstration video shows, and I was initially disappointed. Perhaps it is wired up incorrectly? Anyway, I go from tropical water to cold Canadian water with very different exposure suits and it makes for an easy adjustment.

I am certainly going to look closely at the way the webbing is run through again (it came assembled, so I assumed it was wired up correctly). Perhaps as my webbing gets older it will slide easier.

MT

I have a cinch. But it does not slide as easy as the demonstration video shows
Same here, so I've given up "cinching" on donning and doffing. I'm basically using mine as a standard harness, albeit with slightly easier adjustment to accommodate different exposure protection.

Same here, so I've given up "cinching" on donning and doffing. I'm basically using mine as a standard harness, albeit with slightly easier adjustment to accommodate different exposure protection.

Yes, this is what I am doing too. I set the size for my exposure suit, then keep it the same all the time until I change the suit. During the dive I adjust the tension of the waist belt; this seems to help control my trim as the tank volume changes throughout the dive. With my tropical suit it is easy to get in and out; but with my cold water suit I think the easy slide would be nice to have working.

Cinch or no, I like the wing, it is simple and seems robust; and it is nice not to have to mess with metal clamps if I want to make adjustments. It is far better than my former jacket BC, another thing sitting in the closet waiting to be sold.

MT

I have had really good luck with my Halcyon wings. I bought two used and one new. So far no need to try out their customer service yet.

I am glad things worked out as well as they did for you. :)

Try Armor-All on the webbing. Works wonders for sliding it through. Halcyon made the Cinch tough to pull intentionally, but you can loosen it up some.

Anyone who has experienced Halcyon customer service probably becomes a customer for life. I tore the cover on my 5 year old Eclipse wing on a wreck, sent it in for a new cover, explaining what happened, clearly not a warranty issue (I had also bought the rig used). 3 days later a brand new wing arrived. Really, just nothing else out there like it except maybe Shearwater service.

Try Armor-All on the webbing. Works wonders for sliding it through. Halcyon made the Cinch tough to pull intentionally, but you can loosen it up some.

Anyone who has experienced Halcyon customer service probably becomes a customer for life. I tore the cover on my 5 year old Eclipse wing on a wreck, sent it in for a new cover, explaining what happened, clearly not a warranty issue (I had also bought the rig used). 3 days later a brand new wing arrived. Really, just nothing else out there like it except maybe Shearwater service.

This is good to know - I was not aware their customer service was so fantastic! Blue H tax be damned - if they give good service they will get my business.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom