why hasnt nitrox replaced compressed air completely?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Those Basking Ridge people are an unusual lot.

I should know. I've been married to one for 42 years.

Make sure you only use oxygen-ready tanks for your air fills. Don't put nitrox stickers on air only tanks. If a diver takes it to the shop for filling, the shop might assume the diver wants nitrox. This could create an exposion hazard. But you probably knew this already so it's a friendly reminder.
I wouldn't be giving them the tanks, far too expensive! and I'd probably just take the stickers off anyway, as any experiment it'd be under strict supervision.

Not that I could ever be bothered following through with such a plan anyway!

If a diver takes it to the shop for filling, the shop might assume the diver wants nitrox.

I had a new shop employee at my go-to LDS balk at giving me air in a bail-out bottle with a yellow/green sticker on it:

"But it's got a nitrox sticker on it!" said he.

"No, it doesn't," I replied, and pointed out what the sticker said :shakehead:
Edit.png

I actually had what seemed to be a new shop employee at my go-to shop balk at me asking for air in a bail-out bottle that had a yellow/green sticker on it:

"But it's got a nitrox sticker on it!" said he.

"No, it doesn't," I replied, and pointed out what the sticker said :shakehead:
View attachment 188835

I have just such a sticker. You got it with the Oxygen Hacker's Guide.

I have just such a sticker. You got it with the Oxygen Hacker's Guide.

Indeed, though I ordered a ton of them along with the OHG to cover all my various tanks and give some to dive buddies.

Putting them on CCR bottles and 40s is just for fun, but there's at least a small risk some genius on a local rec boat could grab my one of my AL80s with 10/50 or 100% in it rather than his/her own tank and it should help with that.

I use these ones ... 'cuz I'm a geezer ...

GeezerGas.jpg

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Air is much more flexible. 90% of the time i leave the harbour in Tobermory, I have no idea where I'm going to dive. If I have a tank of 32, that eliminates a number of my favorite sites. If the F02 is noticeably less, the benefit is so marginal, who cares.

I just carry a bottle of 100% to clean up at the end of a dive... same benefit, more or less...

Make sure you only use oxygen-ready tanks for your air fills...
Don't put nitrox stickers on air only tanks...
If a diver takes it to the shop for filling, the shop might assume the diver wants nitrox...
This could create an exposion hazard...

For the last few years, I've been getting fills from a guy in his garage with common sense, that I now despair at the thought of having to ever go back to a shop again.

For the last few years, I've been getting fills from a guy in his garage with common sense, that I now despair at the thought of having to ever go back to a shop again.

For anything but air/32/36, I resemble this statement.

How are you filling your own air? And what locations do you dive at near Basking Ridge? I am also from New Jersey but I'm a ways south from you.

I am a volunteer fireman - I use the fire company's cascade system. Round Valley for practice, Shark River Inlet A Street and North side, Manasquan train bridge, L Street on occasion - Allenhurst Jetty and some boat dives mixed in between.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom