why hasnt nitrox replaced compressed air completely?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, I find that if I use Nitrox and dive a wreck that when I have to surface along with the rest I have about 800 to 900lb. more air than their 400 to 500 lb. of air left and while diving on the reef I can stay down extra 10 minutes over using compressed air.

Breathing nitrox will not improve your gas consumption rate ... it will only inhibit the amount of nitrogen loading that goes on inside your body's cells during the dive.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

And that's the number one reason I like it. I don't dive deep without a good reason so toxicity's not an issue for me. Any way I can load less nitrogen is a plus in my book.

All this depends on where you are diving. I've had the experience of having a mix for the planned dives only to have the weather cause the capt. to have to go to a spot where it exceeded my MOD. There were tanks on board they let me use but it brought home why I like 21% so much.

I'm sure this is a unique situation. Usually it's the other way around. If the weather is bad you go shallow rather than deeper.

I'm sure this is a unique situation. Usually it's the other way around. If the weather is bad you go shallow rather than deeper.

It's was NC, it all depends on the wind.

Not always. If its high seas then shallow sites suffer more surge and ground swell than deeper. Or quite simply the deeper site is on the more sheltered side of the coast and so on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom