Why HOG Regulators?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So question was asked. If student diver asks you why are you diving HOG instead of what LDS sells, what would you answer?

:) just answer straight out why you dive it :) if it was cheaper for the same quality you tell them it's cheaper for the same quality.

At my LDS the owner is pushing their regs all the time. I just smile and tell them yeah yeah they are nice but I already have the regs that work for me :) They still service my regs. If you are DM candidate they might insist you to have the brand they sell when you assist. I know a case when a guy was told to leave the pool as he had Dive Rite gear the shop was not selling :)

Anyhow, I really appreciate the responsiveness of the vendor on this forum and that is a huge plus for me.

Absolutely, both vendor AND manufacturer responsiveness is amazing. Gives me a little more confidence in the brand than I already had.

I feel like wearing the company sold brands is being dishonest. While I cannot respond as an instructor, as a student I look to my instructors for honest opinions and direction, and I think by buying only what the LDS sells you are keeping your students from being fully informed.

If you can't give unbiased opinions about gear, regardless of what you sell, and have a discussion about pros and cons with a student Im not sure you should be an instructor. IMHO it destroys the honest relationship that should be formed between instructor and student. Now, if a shop wants to give you uber discounts, and you HONESTLY love the gear and use if yourself, then that is different. BUT, if you use the gear ONLY because your shop sells it, you are just a marketing tool and not truly dedicated to your student.

Im sure this will get some people upset, but this is a personal opinion of a student, so please understand my bias as well.

No, it's OK. Many instructors feel that way as well. I understand the issue. On the same coin you have to ask why a Instructor would teach for a shop that carries gear that the instructor wouldn't want to recommend if not "required" to. that is dishonest as well.

For instance, say I just LOVE Scubapro regs, think they are the cats you know what and have been diving them for years. Now I start to teach for a non Scubapro dealer, certainly if I was honest with myself I would recognize that of the brands the store carries there are some GREAT regs I can recommend without any concerns. To be so stuck on one brand that reason escapes is dishonest in that you are recommending and selling as a FAN, not a professional.

Back
Top Bottom