Regulator Necklace Setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
ink

ink

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm looking to switch to a hog setup with primary donate. I bought a necklace, but how do I actually attach it to my regulator? How do I measure what the ideal length is?
Also, what do I do with the clip for my new extra-long primary reg tube? Why do I need a clip? The videos I found made it look like I just wrap it under my arm and around my neck, so why would I clip it?

As the previous said the clip is for gas exchange type stuff so it’s not wafting about, (YouTube “inner space explorers”, to see all the inns and outs Joachim has some great information vids,)
It's Achim Schlöffel. The channel is https://www.youtube.com/@CoastalDevelopment

The specific video follows. The necklace bungee part runs from around 4:45 to 8:00.

I'm looking to switch to a hog setup with primary donate. I bought a necklace, but how do I actually attach it to my regulator? How do I measure what the ideal length is?
Also, what do I do with the clip for my new extra-long primary reg tube? Why do I need a clip? The videos I found made it look like I just wrap it under my arm and around my neck, so why would I clip it?
I made a “bungee” necklace out of some thin shock cord. It worked okay, but on a bare neck, it was really uncomfortable with the weight of the reg digging into my bare neck. Make sure your bungee has some girth… or buy the Dive Rite bungee necklace and be done.

If you always wear a hood, then disregard the above.

I was given an Apeks necklace, it has a plastic piece that fits behind the mouthpiece and then uses bungee, I like it better then the ones I had made, it stays put and hasn’t come loose

I thought the method you tie a reg into a necklace should always release fairly easily in case a panicked diver grabs it . Is that not true?

I thought that method you tie a reg into a necklace should always release fairly easily in case a panicked diver grabs it . Is that not true?
There are no hard and fast rules, but the more common convention if you wear a secondary on a necklace (or have an air2 inflator) that is YOUR backup and you would be donating your primary on a 40-84" hose to a buddy in an out-of-gas situation. This concept is definitely more prevalent in DIR circles and isnt as common among recreational vacation divers.

Wearing a secondary you intend to donate on a necklace doesn't make much sense from a hose routing or length perspective. It would be either too long to be manageable without tucking or too short to be effectively donated.

The thought process behind your panicked diver scenario is that they are grabbing for whatever they see making bubbles, not politely frisking you for a yellow octo regardless of whether it is in your bcd pocket, hanging in your chest triangle, or bungied under your neck.

I made a “bungee” necklace out of some thin shock cord. It worked okay, but on a bare neck, it was really uncomfortable with the weight of the reg digging into my bare neck. Make sure your bungee has some girth… or buy the Dive Rite bungee necklace and be done.

If you always wear a hood, then disregard the above.
The Dive Rite bungee necklace is exactly what I bought, so this is very reassuring.

Personally, I like the necklace they sell on ex-leisure pro. No moving parts, holds the reg very securely

https://www.scuba.com/p-xsssrn10/highland-by-xs-scuba-silicone-regulator-necklace-10
I agree they look good, are clean and durable. There's a couple reasons that a silicone necklace isn't my personal choice:
1) Not adjustable. I have my necklace length such that if I have do (hopefully never have too) I can spit out my primary and tuck my chin to mouth the secondary hands free. Again, will probably never even need to, but I practice every once in a while just in case.
2) Not as stretchy. Either those silicone necklaces fit easily over my fat melon and then hang too low for my taste, or they are sized right where I like around my neck but I cant get them over my head and mask when I forgot to put on the necklace during final check and I'm next off the boat.

When tying or buying a necklace, consider whether you want it to be able to hold the reg in your mouth in the event that you become disabled on the surface. That can be done by making it the right length or having a fast way to cinch it up.

Back
Top Bottom