Regulator Necklace Setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
ink

ink

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm looking to switch to a hog setup with primary donate. I bought a necklace, but how do I actually attach it to my regulator? How do I measure what the ideal length is?
Also, what do I do with the clip for my new extra-long primary reg tube? Why do I need a clip? The videos I found made it look like I just wrap it under my arm and around my neck, so why would I clip it?

I'm looking to switch to a hog setup with primary donate. I bought a necklace, but how do I actually attach it to my regulator? How do I measure what the ideal length is?
Also, what do I do with the clip for my new extra-long primary reg tube? Why do I need a clip? The videos I found made it look like I just wrap it under my arm and around my neck, so why would I clip it?
You can either use some bungee cord or you can zip tie the necklace onto the second stage. I know you have already bought a 'necklace', but for next time just know that you really don't need one. Just a length of bungee / elastic cord will suffice and is what most DIR divers will use.

Your long hose should have a bolt snap attached to it a few inches from the regulator mouthpiece. You use this to clip your long hose to your right shoulder D-ring on your harness whenever the long hose reg is not actively being breathed from (i.e. when gearing up while you're on the boat).

If you dive in mixed teams, make sure you let your dive buddies know that you will be donating your primary in the event of an out-of-air.

As the previous said the clip is for gas exchange type stuff so it’s not wafting about, (YouTube “inner space explorers”, to see all the inns and outs Joachim has some great information vids,) anyway, my personal take on it isn’t strictly DIR or GUE I tie a large O ring to the long hose near the reg and just have a double ender clipped out the way, my reasoning is 3,
Why have something on a hose that could smash your mask or face on entry,
A spare double ender is eternally useful, (if you needed a double ender for other reasons you have options)
An O ring if caught up or if grabbed in an out of gas emergency will just snap….
But it’s for you to decide every choice in diving is personal.
I agree with bungee, unless on Poseidon regs as their necklace set up is fantastic, and it is just a case of rig and see,,, (inner space explorers again lol)

Best of luck buddy

As the previous said the clip is for gas exchange type stuff so it’s not wafting about, (YouTube “inner space explorers”, to see all the inns and outs Joachim has some great information vids,) anyway, my personal take on it isn’t strictly DIR or GUE I tie a large O ring to the long hose near the reg and just have a double ender clipped out the way, my reasoning is 3,
Why have something on a hose that could smash your mask or face on entry,
A spare double ender is eternally useful, (if you needed a double ender for other reasons you have options)
An O ring if caught up or if grabbed in an out of gas emergency will just snap….
But it’s for you to decide every choice in diving is personal.
I agree with bungee, unless on Poseidon regs as their necklace set up is fantastic, and it is just a case of rig and see,,, (inner space explorers again lol)

Best of luck buddy
Thanks, this channel is great.

This is the shape of the necklace I bought. I just stick the mouthpiece in the smaller loop between the slipknots? My reg won't fall out?

Yeah the point of a fisherman's knot like that is the weight of the regulator hanging in between the slipknots pulls the knot tighter. Its not going anywhere unless you actually tug on the knot itself.

Personally, I just picked up one of these for my xtx50 secondary, but just because it looks a little cleaner, not necessarily better. A bungie with the right knot is simpler and cheaper and can be easily be moved from one reg to another.
1710957460692.png

Reactions: ink
This is the shape of the necklace I bought. I just stick the mouthpiece in the smaller loop between the slipknots? My reg won't fall out?

I’ve never bought one, I just make them. But yes you put the 2nd stage through the small loop & tighten it. The point of the knots is that they tighten down when you pull on the large loop in opposite directions once the 2nd stage is inserted through the small loop.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom