Why I'm not impressed with LDS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SNaslund

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have not been a member her efor very long but I have noticed the long running debate on internet vs LDS purchasing. I thought maybe I could add something since I am a fairly new diver and have formed some definite opinions on this.

1. During open water training, our class was provided with the equipment for the open water portion of the class. The BC I was given had a gash through the outer covering exposing the bladder. When I asked for another one, I was told that it was fine. Not knowing any better I accepted this advice. During the training, I had to stuff the bladder back into the BC several times and during my third dive the power inflator became completely disassembled. Luckily I remembered the training I was given and disconnected the inflator hose and completed the dive using oral inflation. Other students experienced free flows and had regulators with broken grills. The instructors (who by the way were fantastic and redeemed the entire experience) agreed that the rental equipment was pretty shabby. No more rental gear from this LDS for me.

2. On the advice of my instructor (did I mention they were great), I decided to purchase my own equipment. After much studying here and talking to people I bought a BCD from my LDS. On their specific advice regarding weighting, I was given a set of soft weights for the BCD. Imagine my surprise when reading the BCDs manual at home I found that the manufacturer does NOT recommend soft weights for the BCD since they can interfere with the ditching mechanism. I returned the soft weight and was told that the manufacturer does not know what they are talking about. Boy that was a real confidence builder. I called the manufacturer and they very patiently explain that the reason they don't like soft weights is that they can settle in the pockets and bulge at the bottom making the weight harder to ditch. I am an engineer so this made a lot of sense to me. Seems to me that the LDS could take two minutes to read the instructions for the equipment they sell.

3. Bought a Suunto D9 computer (I know its kind of over the top for a noob but I can afford it and I like the computer a lot) from the LDS. I went to the Aqua Lung web site to get an electronic copy of the manual (the paper one is a bit small to read), I find out that the D9 I had was a early model which was recalled over a year ago. I called Aqua Lung and they said to verify the software version since the LDS should have returned it for a software upgrade when they got the recall notice. Sure enough, the LDS never did anything about the recall and I am going to have to send it in for service. Sending it in does not bother me. What bothers me is that the LDS received a manufacturers recall directly affecting safety and did not check their stock to see if it was affected. This is a potentially life threatening issue. Its also not nice to sell a computer that has to be returned for battery replacement that has been sitting on the shelf for over a year. So this brand new, top of the line computer, needs a software change and a battery replacement before use.

4. Being tired of my LDS, I went to another LDS and bought a dive light. It was the highly rated UK Light Cannon 100. Upon getting it home, I was surprised to see everything just kind of jumbled up in the box. Also, batteries were already in the light, hmmm. I read the instruction (again the engineer in me shows up) and find that the lock for the switch is broken and the light can easily be bumped from on to off or vice versa. I am going to return this one today. So here we have equipment that was obviously returned by one customer, sold to another customer, and still defective. Again I am concerned that this light is equipment that some is counting on and their safety could be affected if it is not working correctly.

5. Now I was looking for one of those safety sausages (I dive in a lake with quite some boat traffic). I read about the Aqua Lung Surface Observation Signal which is a type of safety sausage that attaches to a BCD dump valve (by the way, it works great). I wanted to buy one of these so I contacted the two dive centers above and a third and received pretty much the same answer. "What's that ?" or "I never heard of that". Well, all of these LDS are authorized Aqua Lung dealers and all had the nice glossy brochure from Aqua Lung that clearly pictures this product. Not one of these LDSs cared enough to look it up or offer to order it. I contacted ScubaToys and got one within a couple of days with no muss or fuss. Thank you ScubaToys. Hey, LDS owners, if you are a dealer for a manufacturer, crack a catalog once in a while and see what they offer. Pretty bad when a noob knows whats available more than you do. If your customer wants something you don't have offer to order it or they will go to someone who will and skip the middle man next time.

I think its about time that the LDS owners stop complaining about customers who don't buy from them and find out why. We do not owe you anything, you owe us. WE are the customer. I absolutely prefer to buy from an LDS since I like to browse and see what I am getting, but I can't do this when I can't trust you. You are not selling donuts, you are selling life support equipment. I think a little more professionalism is in order here.

Sorry for ranting so much.

I'm sorry your LDS experience did not go so well. You should fill out your profile so we know where you live, and maybe people in your area can provide some advice on finding a better LDS.

Unfortunately like any business there are good and bad LDS's out there. Fortunately for you the instructor was great which is IMO very key even if you don't like the retail department of the LDS.

So you may just want to stick with your LDS for training, and shop online for gear.

I'd also bring up these complaints with the LDS. Telling the world on Scubaboard does nothing to change the situation. Does your LDS have a service center? Sounds like no if thier equipment is in such bad shape.

Welcome to the board, and enjoy the diving!

... LDS received a manufacturers recall directly affecting safety and did not check...

Interesting as the recall issue is often mentioned as a reason to buy from a dealer, and there could be some legal problems for the shop if they sold a computer that was recalled and something happened to the diver.

Well, to answer some of the questions. This is two LDSs and I have not had any real confidence inspired by some other around here either. The first LDS with the faulty rental gear actually does have a pretty extensive service department and the word is that they are good at that. They are a large LDS that has been around a long time. It seems that they just don't want to invest in new rental gear. I think the BC I was given was way beyond repairs, it was just plain worn out.

On the recall issue, I would recommend to anyone to just google their equipment and the word recall to see if anything is out there. In fact, I saw the recall before buying the D9. My mistake would be to assume that any unit bought a year later would have been corrected.

I am a telecom engineer but also have some experience with mechanical as well.

First welcome to scuba board. One thing that I have learned in 36 years is that there are bad apples in everything from teachers, preachers, cops to LDS. BUT for the most part they are all good as are most people. Please find another LDS and visit with them for a while and make sure they meet your standards. I have had a similar situation and the shop i am with now is the GREATEST but we are in Arkansas. Please email me if I can ever help you and please remember most divers are great people. Clay

Being a newbie too I got the same feeling a couple of times from my LDS where I certified. Spent too much on my boots, fins, snorkel, and mask. Bought a steel 85 for $300. Not bad except that it was a low pressure 85. Took that back and they ordered me a HP 85 for just about the same money.

After checking prices at 2 LDS before I purchsed my gear I decided to buy from Leisure Pro.

Now here is where some good info for me comes in. After being on this site and clicking on the ScubaToys link I realized that ScubaToys is only about 20 mins from my house. I hopped in the car to go and check out what they offered....WOW!!! What a store and what a staff. They told me that they would meet or beat any price from Leisure Pro. From their store, staff, and willingness to get right on their pricing they have earned all of my future business.

In a nutshell if you're not happy with 1, 2 or 3 LDS, keep looking, there are some great ones out there.

I still plan on taking more courses from my original LDS because they are 10 minutes from my house but that will be just about all the $ they get from me.

My two local dive shops suck too.

Internet for me. I may order a White's drysuit from one of the shops someday, but everything else bites.

You really need to think about this folks. I would imagine the good LDS outnumber the bad ones but words like this kick them all just as hard. There are some very good online resources, but if the LDS continue to close as the statistics say they are, we're all in for a big shock

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom