Why I'm not impressed with LDS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I love my local dive shop. I've seen bad and I've seen good. I think it comes down to the personnel. Mine are highly competent and knowledgable and friendly. I'm not anti-internet. I will and have shopped both ways. Sometimes though, it's nice to go in and just play with toys if I know I'm not diving for a week or two!! I think it appeals to the 6 year old in me-instant gratification and all that!

SKBRDVR1:
You really need to think about this folks. I would imagine the good LDS outnumber the bad ones but words like this kick them all just as hard. There are some very good online resources, but if the LDS continue to close as the statistics say they are, we're all in for a big shock
Oh, so you want to play that game?

I photoshopped up some propaganda for you...

-Brandon.

My LDS is cleaning up. I was in there a few days ago to drop off my reg and they were packing stacks of mesh bags containing masks, fins, snorkles, booties. They were sold to a class of 122 unviersity students taking scuba. And that's only 1 university they supply gear for and teach classes to the students. The manager told me that they teach and supply 300 a semester. And encourage all of them to buy a full set of gear.

Of course, only a small percentage will be retained, but geez, there's a lot of profit in starter equipment.

Okay..okay...everybody put up the darts. No, I'm not saying to support a bad LDS. I didn't even say don't online shop. I simply said that I think we need to understand where we all will be if dive shops, both bad and good, continue to close at the rate they are closing now. The numbers are available and were compiled from PADI, NAUI and SSI statistics. I THINK the number was 424 shops shut down last year.

How many of 424 were new businesses? About 65% of ALL small businesses will fail within a 10 year period.

I don't think I am slamming the concept of the LDS. I am just tired of hearing the mantra of supporting your local LDS or else.

The idea of their not being instructors or air fills is just a scare tactic. The market will ensure that if you need air, someone will be in business to sell it to you. Instructors generally instruct because they like to teach because there is really not that much money in it (for the instructor, not the LDS who makes out like a bandit when you consider the basic equipment costs). The good instructors will associate themselves with a better LDS or go into business.

I am not proposing that the internet is a better place to buy, just trying to debunk the idea that the internet is driving the LDS out of business. The internet is just giving people options. This is no different than if a better LDS opens next door. If the LDS is lousy then they will lose some business to the new competitor. I don't believe that most people are really pinching pennies here, they just want selection and service at a fair price.

I agree that I, like most people, will not write to tell about the good/normal experiences at a dive shop. This is because to most people, good service is expected not the exception. Do you write a letter every time your phone works well or your cable service is good?

I would love to own a dive shop but I would treat it as a business and not a hobby. I would also try to remember that the items I sell are life support equipment not toys. I would attempt to provide the best possible service to customer whether that order comes in by phone, internet, shoe leather, or carrier pigeon. Maybe if the weak LDS fails, it strengthens the others.

SKBRDVR1:
I simply said that I think we need to understand where we all will be if dive shops, both bad and good, continue to close at the rate they are closing now.
Where will we be?

Piling on is the most frequent infraction on the ScubaBoard. I'll walk off 15 yards.:wink:

SKBRDVR1:
Okay..okay...everybody put up the darts. No, I'm not saying to support a bad LDS. I didn't even say don't online shop. I simply said that I think we need to understand where we all will be if dive shops, both bad and good, continue to close at the rate they are closing now. The numbers are available and were compiled from PADI, NAUI and SSI statistics. I THINK the number was 424 shops shut down last year.

I believe that most consumer/divers will benefit from the loss of shops. In most areas, surviving shops will enjoy both more consumers and more manufacturers seeking to do business with them. Mfgrs will be forced to reevaluate their policies on pricing, service, and warrenties. They will not have the shops over a barrel. Trainers will still be plentiful but some may have to go independent of shops - another good thing in my book. We may have to drive a bit more for gas but there should be less shops who claim to lose $$ on their compressor. If the loss of shops is total in some areas, clubs should be able to facilitate gas, service, and training.

Hopefully the surviving shops will be the better ones. If not, the the more open competetive retail market should contribute to the ultimate failure of those that can't or won't satisfy their customers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom