Why is it so hard to find someone to dive with.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

elsrdiven

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I have a theory about diving buddies. Its hard to find them. Unless you learn to dive with a friend its nearly impossible to find a buddy to dive with. My wife has no desire to dive but is more than willing to go with me anytime or any place and sit and read a book. But that doesn't help me out much. I think I am going to have to do some solo diving. I think its easier anyways. I will love to take a trip to Mexico or the Keys to dive. But when your the only one that dives its kinda of a waste of time.

Before I joined Scubaboard, I had a hard time finding buddies. No one in my family nor circle of friends dive. I use to rely on insta-buddies on dive trips. Because of Scubaboard I have more buddies than I have time or money to dive. :depressed:

Have you joined any local dive clubs/groups in your area? Great Lake Wrecking Crew has meet and greets at the local quarry. Have you had a chance to attend one of their meet and greets?

How about your local dive shop? They probably run trips through their shops.

Good luck.

+1 for the GLWC Meet-n-Greet, Scubaboard and local quarries and diveshops. When I first started, it was just myself and my son. Now I'm pretty sure I can find someone to go with me any day of the week. Met them just the way ScubaSam suggests.

Fall Meet-n-Greet for GLWC is just a few weeks away. You should come.

The only diving I was doing when I started was warm water vacation destinations where you'd be in a group with a DM.

Then I started diving local. I met someone at a local dive club, she recommended checking ScubaBoard (thanks Donna!) and I met some amazing people (yes, you Sam) and now have a large group of buddies. I've even "met" people on ScubaBoard going on the same cruise as me and had a great time! Same thing with diving in North Carolina, I was the only diver in my group on vacation, but found a couple people on ScubaBoard that would be diving the same days as me.

Check out dive clubs and shop trips. If you book with those trips, you'll get in some good diving and probably meet some great buddies.

Yes, one of the great things about Scubaboard is meeting divers who are not only local to you but around the country. When I was planning my trips to FL and CA, Scubaboard members I've met online helped with the planning, and I was able to dive with them when I traveled to FL and CA.

Yes, Mike is one of my local dive buddies and we've even traveled to Cozumel through a local dive shop's trip.

No one in my family dives either. Very early on I attended a Great Lakes Wrecking Crew Meet and Greet. I then started watching this forum for local dive opportunities. Almost before I knew it I had a growing list of dive buddies. If you can, attend the Meet and Greet in October. I know there are many divers in the Dayton area. Heck, I'm only 2 hrs away and dive pretty regularly in eastern Indiana. I'd be glad to dive with you if our schedules synch up. Hidden Paradise and Natural Springs are decent dive sites between you and I, especially for new divers.

Scubaboard has not worked for me much. The local dive shops in Dayton are to "clickish" but thanks for the advice.

Where is Hidden Paradise?

St. Paul IN. It's a campground with a quarry that's used for both swimming and diving. Not the best dive site, but far from the worst as well. It's a local place to dive and it's only $10.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom