Why is Little Cayman diving considered better?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Was that the same trip that you saw the algae on Brac and not Little, or different times? We were on Little Cayman once when the algae thing was going on. Apparently it's seasonal, and goes away.

yeah, depressing was exactly the word I used when we saw it on LC.

What time of year did you encounter the algae situations?

You don't need a liveboard to do the Cayman Islands.

The sister islands are generally considered to be quite a bit better that GC.

LC's Bloody Bay wall is surreal.

CB Bluff runs are supposed to be very nice.

GC diving s quite mediocre in my opinon unless you get out around the bend, and weather has a lot to do with that even being possible.

But it is more interesting in terms of time spent not diving (beaches, food, etc).

If I was in your shoes, I would pick LC without hesitation.

Trips were in July and August both times. I believe it was 2015 in which both islands were algae free. This year, Brac had it and LC didn't.. Don't get me wrong; I'll be back. I'm glad to hear it's seasonal. I understand parrotfish really help control algae. I don't remember if we saw a lot of parrotfish in 2015 but definitely didn't see many in 2017 (it's hard to tell because I've given up trying to get a good photo of one!)

You don't need a liveboard to do the Cayman Islands.

The sister islands are generally considered to be quite a bit better that GC.

LC's Bloody Bay wall is surreal.

CB Bluff runs are supposed to be very nice.

GC diving s quite mediocre in my opinon unless you get out around the bend, and weather has a lot to do with that even being possible.

But it is more interesting in terms of time spent not diving (beaches, food, etc).

If I was in your shoes, I would pick LC without hesitation.

I love diving all the Cayman islands and I don't agree that GC is mediocre. The diving on the west side is sometimes less exciting, but it is usually very calm, so you can get a nice dive even when conditions aren't great.

And it's true that the highly popular dive sites that have really gotten beaten up over the years by divers, like Eden Rock and Devil's Grotto; but you still can usually see some great animals.

But the OP is discussing staying on the East End and North Wall and those are gorgeous dives with loads of fish life!

The algae isn't the problem.. It's the lack of the Northwester's The heavy surge action clears the areas of the brown algae. The storms are almost non existent now. Irma generated a small amount of surge,and probably helped. Paloma was a more Northeast surge. I can't remember the last time Tibbet's turn was under water, it's been years.

Don't be too depressed. The algae has been there for 1000's of years and the reef has adapted and changed many times without a human around. Actually, the diving on Brac has improved through the years. Nassau Groupers are rebounding and breeding and the Sharks are becoming a prominent species again. Enjoy.

he OP is discussing staying on the East End and North Wall and those are gorgeous dives with loads of fish life!

Agree. I must have missed that about staying on the East End.

hmmm...December. Found where I mentioned it in an ancient thread - assorted Little Cayman questions Only trip out of maybe 6 (including another December one) where we saw it. I don't know if it is temps, time of year, storms cleaning things up, or some combination of who knows what. Or predictable.

Back
Top Bottom