Why is Liveaboard diving in Egypt so cheap?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

May I respectfully ask what you mean by "older"? I turn 60 in less than 3 weeks and do not consider myself old! Age is just a number.

I know I am retiring from diving next year but that is not age-related.

May I respectfully ask what you mean by "older"? I turn 60 in less than 3 weeks and do not consider myself old! Age is just a number.

I know I am retiring from diving next year but that is not age-related.

You are an inspiration! We are in our 60s and still working but we both have some chronic health conditions that we have to take into consideration. Keep having fun whatever you do!

I would guess the Aggressor has to be one of the more expensive liveaboards, since they're selling an internationally known brand name. I'm not so sure what one gets for that brand name over other options, though. Are they really more highly insured, more safety-conscious, etc.? Maybe, maybe not.

Anyway, it sounds like competition and package dive tourism--and the attendant crowding at the dive sites--is a major factor along with fuel costs, insurance, etc., in the relatively economical prices compared with Caribbean and Indo-Pacific liveaboards.

As my only taste of the Red Sea has been a little shore diving from Dahab as a backpacker, a Red Sea liveaboard is firmly on my bucket list. I'm considering the low season to minimize crowds. Drysuit would be just fine with me, so long as the air temperature is nice. I hate crowds.

And Hintermann is indeed an inspiration.

Heck, I'm 68 and recently returned from the Red Sea. I dive all over the world, although must admit that my air consumption has increased a bit over the years and my legs don't have the same power they used to.

Another factor making Red Sea liveaboards so inexpensive maybe the current glut of dive boats and relative lack of tourism to the country. I saw dozens of dive boats sitting in just one of the four marinas in Hurghada when we went out.

Reactions: Jax
When I booked a Red Sea trip for next summer I spoke with a few travel agents in the process. They seemed to indicate that tourism was way down, I am guessing due to the current political climate, and there are a large number of dive boats competing for the same tourist dollar.

I found Sharm more expensive than Thailand. I was a bit surprised to see so many divers and so many boats. I felt safe March/April 2015 when I was there.

GJS

I would steer clear of Sharm, which I have heard is a zoo with so many dive operators competing with each other. I have been to Dahab, which is a bit more remote, and even that had the feel of a Thailand backpacker ghetto. If and when I do a liveaboard, I think I will opt for a southern itinerary, leaving from Sudan.

I have no idea about the activity in the different ports. When we depart in July it will be from Hurghada. I hope it isn't that congested.

I have no idea about the activity in the different ports. When we depart in July it will be from Hurghada. I hope it isn't that congested.

Better choice, from what I've heard. Sharm is more than just a port for dive boats--it's got a reputation as a budget package tourism destination.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom