Why is my plate killing my back?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JahJahwarrior

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Dive Rite plate, simple hog harness, aluminum 100 doubles. The plate just seems to push on bone or something, and it's incredibly painful. Also, if I shift around to try and get rid of that pain, I swear the bottom wingnut pushes my back.

I'm 6-0 and used to weigh 165#ish, now I'm more like 135#, I don't have much body fat to cushion the plate.

What can I do? Walking anywhere with tanks on is like torture!

First thing is.

Adjust your plate properly. many pain in the back is from an improper fit of the back plate.
DIR-diver.com - Adjust the backplate

Next look at how long the bolt is and how far it sticks out with wing nut in place of course.
With this. You may want to trim a little of the bolt and use thumb screws instead of the wing nut.
https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?product=51

You may also consider a plate pad. Halcyon does have a nice MC storage pack. That may work to ease some pain. It creates a barrier and help protect you suit and back from friction if you will.

cheers

How does it feel in the water? That's the key. Unfortunately, it's hard to get comfortable positioning above and below the surface. If it's okay underwater, then you should be good to go. You might want to consider bringing the tanks to the water on a hand cart. And eat more! 6-0 and 135? Not to scare you, but a 30# weight loss is quite significant. I'd see a doctor.

Plate pad, more insulation under the drysuit can help. When I wear something like a 3 mil wetsuit with doubles and plate...owwweee.

X

I get back pain from my plate because it doesn't allow me to stand (swim?) straight underwater, i'm slightly hunched over while diving. A chiropractic adjustment always fixes it though. You seem to be talking about something physically digging into your back, is this correct?

I lost the weight partly because I wanted to and partly because cafeteria food here at college can mess you up inside sometimes, so as a general rule you don't want to consume too much at once :) And partly because my mealplan gives me 2 meals a day and I'd rather spend money on diving, kayaks or photography stuff than on eating out or groceries :)

Here are two pictures of the plate on me.
2245273518_8d097ef72f.jpg

2245273546_c0a5c2f208.jpg

It feels great in the water, but some dive sites require long hikes, like 1/4 of a mile, to the water. Heck, I was fed up just walking across a large courtyard from the parking lot to my dorm!

Seems ok from what I can see...but it does look as if it would dig in your lower back.

technically if it does feel fine as you swim but hurts as you transport...as mentioned above use a dolly or cart to haul your tanks to and from the site if possible.

if you are hitting bone...then the solution is gain weight or use thicker exposure protection or worse case - pads...with wings of course..:wink:

I do alot of T-shirt diving so I glued some neoprene from an old worn-out wetsuit onto my plate and that works for me. Doesn't look all fancy like the factory pads but since you are a college student and not swimming in money it should be ok.

You weighed 165# and wanted to lose weight? Maybe I'd understand if you were four-foot-nothing.

I lost the weight partly because I wanted to and partly because cafeteria food here at college can mess you up inside sometimes, so as a general rule you don't want to consume too much at once :) And partly because my mealplan gives me 2 meals a day and I'd rather spend money on diving, kayaks or photography stuff than on eating out or groceries :)

Damn college food! I just hope students aren't involved in making the stuff. Seeing college kids in hair nets - just not right. That being said, I did serve a half-cooked patty melt to someone as a volunteer chef at my college.

X

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom